Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riser pipe banging

mob1345
mob1345 Member Posts: 4
We have an issue on one line in our building . There are 4 differnt sections of the building . When the heat rises in the A line of our building  the riser pipe bangs something awful you can hear it all the way out to the stair case .We live in a 6 story building . Been asking our landlord to address  the issue for 3 or 4 years now  and he won't.  Very fustrating  there are no issues with the pipe in our apt we had that checked out  the landlord sent someone to look at it from his maintance guys .They said they think it a system issue thier hands are tied they ate not professional plumbers  and he went bring anyone in .I get **** from the neighbors around me because of the banging it wakes everyone up in the middle of the night  but the landlord will not bring a professional in to check the entire system .Would like to consult at least with a professional and get their opion once heating season starts  so I know what I am  talking about when I go back to battle with the landlord again .

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    Is this steam, I assume? Have you checked our Find a Contractor tab on the main website or at the top of the forum topics?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    Do you have heat in your apartment ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Banging in a steam system is usually always a piping problem

1. Could be the near boiler piping and the boiler may be producing wet steam.
    2. Could be a pipe where the pipe has slipped or sagged (pipe hangers can come loose) and the sag collects water that will not drain. When the steam hits it ...bang

There are other reason but those are the most common.

Mybe they will pay attention if you only pay 75% of your rent and put the issues in a letter to the landlord.