Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler pump

Options
I have a triangle tube 399 boiler with a grundfos 26-150 boiler pump. I have replaced the pump for the second time in less than a year. Before the first pump went bad the system had been running trouble free for the first 6 years.Only thing I.ve done is the pump. Any Ideas why this is happening?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    Did you make any changes to the system -- any changes at all (even adjusting static pressure) before the first pump failed?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Might be helpful to know what exactly "went bad". Pictures are usually helpful too.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Can you share a photo of the system, including piping? If a circulator is installed improperly, or without enough system pressure, they don't tend to last very long. It's very possible that you may have introduced some air and/or relieved some fluid pressure that didn't get replaced, when you swapped the circ. Both of these can/do cause cavitation and burn up the circ.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited September 2023
    Options
    That's a hefty pump and a hefty boiler. There can be so many reasons for a failure, Without more information on your sys it is difficult to tell. Why did the pump fail and what do you mean by fail. You can take that pump apart and check it's innards. Is the rotor locked up because of magnetite? One possibility. You can take that pump apart and clean it, Big price tag for that pump.
    At that rate of replacement is would be prudent to have flanges with ball valves.