Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

grohe #&!*ing stupid box

Options
mikedo
mikedo Member Posts: 174
wanted to start a new post now that i talked to some after 3 days. as per grohe there volume control can only change pressure by 10% so basically it cant change the pressure. pressure should go from 0 to 100% they can only do ten missing the other 90% and this is there new flagship shower and tub valve. i spent 4 hrs trying to make it work because there tech support is useless.and had the homeowner blaming me basically calling me an idiot because i couldnt make it work right even though they bought it.sorry for the rant but i cant do my job if the product does not work

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 603
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Are you saying you have 50 psi supply but you are only getting 5psi out of the shower arm?

Did you spin the knob? (just kidding...)
    What trim is being installed? Do you actually feel anything turning with the knob? Without it? It's just something that opens a hole larger or makes it smaller.. if you're not getting more volume then you might just be missing a component to turn it

Not exactly sure what problem you are facing, I have guys that install a smartbox every day. no problems.
    Can be a little tricky at first, but you just have to make sure you follow instructions to the tee and not miss any small component.

• mikedo
    Options
    the volume control does not work it can only change the pressure by 10 percent. the knob can only turn approximately 1/3 of a turn. on the valves you have installed does the volume control actually work like a moen pull it out push it in and you can control the water volume
  • dko
    Options
    watch from 11:18 of this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwGyTFq5fd4

is it not working like that for you?
  • mikedo
    Options
    no its not we have high water pressure in my town maybe thats why it wont work it only changes the pressure a little bit . with the shower head on you can barely notice it. its not a real volume if it cant do restrict it to almost nothing and then 100%
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Have you checked for any debris in the shower head? If no debris, the flow restrictor might not let you see any difference in volume.

I would remove the shower head and see what kind of volume changes you get with low and high settings.

Good luck!
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Larry Weingarten
  • mikedo
    Options
    i did the differance is very small. if i take the trim off and can rotate the volume control more than just 1/3 of a turn it actually works.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    mikedo said:

i did the differance is very small. if i take the trim off and can rotate the volume control more than just 1/3 of a turn it actually works.

This strongly suggests that there is something amiss with the way it got assembled somewhere along the line... Could be as simple as a knob got fitted incorrectly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mikedo
    Options
    the volume control trim restricts how much the volume control can turn. as per grohe tech support it is not a true volume control it can only change the pressure by 10% since the house has 85 psi of city water pressure i believe that may be contributing to why it has very little effect on volume. of course i cant ask a grohe senior tech advisor because after telling me for 2 days they would call me back they never did.
  • dko
    edited September 2023
    Options
    For all rapido smartbox trims

500kPa = 72.5psi

Install a PRV

Also 85psi is terrible for all fixtures, should have a PRV regardless.

We're required to install one for above 80psi.
    GGross
  • mikedo
    Options
    thanks. water pressure is very high in my town but people love it. they like the water pressure when taking a shower.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes