Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai i120sn boiler pump

dough041
dough041 Member Posts: 29
edited August 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Was about to wire up the boiler pump on a Rinnai i120sn heat only boiler. The circ pumps went through a Taco 3 zone switching relay. Upon opening the cabinet on the Rinnai and locating the boiler pump connection on the control board, unless I'm missing something- I don't see the hot and neutral hook ups labeled on the board. I see the location but the 2 screws arent labeled hot or neutral. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Wow! Major Boo Boo!

I called Rinnai tech. support [(800)621-9419] and the technician told me that the top terminal is the neutral. This was after a long hold as he went to find the answer, so it's not really evident to anyone, let alone the consumer.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • dough041
    Thanks  a million...thought it was me. I called rinnai and the rep told me it was "non polarized " which I immediately knew was wrong. Thanks again.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    Confusion in terminology here. Rinnai is absolutely correct -- AC equipment is non-polarized. however, volt equipment, like those pumps, will have one hot wire and one neutral wire. The difference is that the neutral wire is NOT switched, and the hot wire is.

When the equipment is energized, a voltage checker will show the hot wire as... hot. With 120 volts to ground. The neutral wire will be... neutral, with only a few volts, if any, to ground.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • dough041
    So I should put the top terminal with the white ( neutral ) and the bottom terminal should be black ( hot ).
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
  • dough041
    Thank you…