Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noxious radiator odor for years

Options
citydweller
citydweller Member Posts: 17
edited August 2023 in Strictly Steam
For years me and multiple neighbors get a disgusting odor from our radiators and heating pipes. For me its just the radiator in one of my bedrooms that smells terrible and I have to keep it off and the other bedroom its just mild transient odor but bathroom and living room fine. I asked many neighbors in my building there are 40 apt units and 6 floors some have issues with odor others haven't. And everyone has different areas of the apt that reeks. Some its the bathroom others the bedroom etc. Me and a few neighbors had their radiators swapped out and the only thing that it changed was the odor lol. Management refuses to help and tells us it's all in our heads. What could be the issue. I doubt it's the boiler or else every neighbor would have it. Also some of us have an issue in the shower where the water goes from hot to cold to cold to hot while showering I don't know if it's related to the heating issue.

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,192
    Options
    Dan has an article on this.... Dont be surprised.  .....A normal system should not stink like that.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Robert O'Brien
  • citydweller
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I'm sure it shouldn't lol. In the past everything was fine. Where's the article?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,551
    Options
    One-pipe steam?
    Retired and loving it.
    mattmia2Mad Dog_2
  • citydweller
    Options
    Just a simple radiator
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    If they’re adding chemicals to the water the smell of those chemicals will escape from the radiator air vents. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • citydweller
    Options
    My question is how come some neighbors have issues and others don't? Also it's not all the heaters in the house could be just 1 or 2. And all the apartments so far I asked or all randomly apart.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I can’t answer that from here. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 619
    edited August 2023
    Options
    May not be the answer, but my free standing radiator supplier sent me a batch of radiators that were black primered like the one in your photo (did yours come like that or was it painted black?) and I have had numerous complaints of odor when it was heated.

Normally they have the dark gray primer, slightly blueish hue. They had brought in a batch from a different manufacturer due to shortage. Covid year

Odor remained even after a month after we recommended airing it out. Swapped the radiator to my regular stock one once it came in and odor went away.

It's either the primer or some bad cast iron(?). Never got to the bottom of it, I just returned all the black radiators and said to never send me those again.

• citydweller
    Options
    It's not a radiator issue. I had another radiator before that and it smelled too but different odor. The issue started for me and other neighbors almost 5 years ago.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    I vaguely recall Dan's story about the mis-treated building Super, who would urinate into the condensate tank, causing quite an odor upstairs!
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    mattmia2CLambexqheat
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,835
    Options
    You could replace the vent with a steam trap and pipe the vent outside with some tubing. Probably need to mount it upside down so the condensate would run back to the radiator.
  • citydweller
    Options
    It's not just me it's multiple neighbors having the same issue. Could it be the boiler? But for it to be the boiler would everyone have issues?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Are they adding chemicals to the boiler water? Who’s in charge of the heating?
    Retired and loving it.
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    Options
    Can you describe the smell?
  • citydweller
    Options

Are they adding chemicals to the boiler water? Who’s in charge of the heating?

No clue.
  • citydweller
    Options

When the issue started my radiator smelled like bleach. They gave me some old radiator from a vacant unit that one smelled like diry old laundry. New radiator smells like gas. My neighbors report different type of odors.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Ask management?
    Retired and loving it.
    PC7060
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,857
    Options

When the issue started my radiator smelled like bleach. They gave me some old radiator from a vacant unit that one smelled like diry old laundry. New radiator smells like gas. My neighbors report different type of odors.
    What kind of gas?
    Gasoline?
    Propane? Natural gas? Ether?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 619
    edited September 2023
    Options
    You may also have a more sensitive nose. Neighbors that say they don't have an odor may simply not notice or not enough to care. But if you went and smelled theirs, you'd say there was a disgusting odor.

While your conclusions may be logical in your mind, there are other factors that could lead to why some give off odors and others do not. Do not be quick to dismiss the boiler and other potential causes others have mentioned only because it wouldn't make sense to you.

Best thing to do is have someone from management come in while the system is running to verify your claims. Or leave a, "does your radiator smell?" poster in the lobby with 40 empty spaces for signatures and start a petition.
  • citydweller
    Options
    Ask management?
    They say everything is fine.
  • citydweller
    edited September 2023
    Options
    dko said:
    You may also have a more sensitive nose. Neighbors that say they don't have an odor may simply not notice or not enough to care. But if you went and smelled theirs, you'd say there was a disgusting odor. While your conclusions may be logical in your mind, there are other factors that could lead to why some give off odors and others do not. Do not be quick to dismiss the boiler and other potential causes others have mentioned only because it wouldn't make sense to you. Best thing to do is have someone from management come in while the system is running to verify your claims. Or leave a, "does your radiator smell?" poster in the lobby with 40 empty spaces for signatures and start a petition.
    Lol. Believe me you'd smell it. Anybody has was in my house said so too. And other neighbors who have the issue have terrible odors as well.

Petition sounds nice but lots of nosey kiss ups here they'd rip it off.
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 522
    Options
    I don't know if anyone already pointed it out but there was a similar situation ( unsure of the outcome) but perhaps there's something in the words written already that may help you with your situation 😜   
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/178332/radiator/p1
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,035
    Options
    Water chemistry/water treatment to the heating system is most likely causing this. There are alternative water treatments that can be used. Ask what is being used to treat the system and ask for an alternative that will not have the smell. (Been there, done that.)
  • citydweller
    Options
    Intplm. said:
    Water chemistry/water treatment to the heating system is most likely causing this. There are alternative water treatments that can be used. Ask what is being used to treat the system and ask for an alternative that will not have the smell. (Been there, done that.)
    I know they are doing something but why is it not all neighbors are afflicted only some?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,354
    Options
    Hi, Is there a public agency that oversees rentals/landlords in your city or county? The landlord likely has to get a business license from someplace. If the landlord won't listen to you, they might listen to the people who could revoke their license to do business. :#

Yours, Larry
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,035
    edited September 2023
    Options

Intplm. said:

I know they are doing something but why is it not all neighbors are afflicted only some?

@citydweller ........ Odors/smells are always a tough issue. They can go to the path of least resistance when that path calls for heat and not fade away quickly. And, air movement from other sources can also affect how this can happen.
    There is nothing wrong with changing the heating system's water chemistry. It can be done, and can continue to treat the heating system. And it can be done without odor.
  • citydweller
    Options

Hi, Is there a public agency that oversees rentals/landlords in your city or county? The landlord likely has to get a business license from someplace. If the landlord won't listen to you, they might listen to the people who could revoke their license to do business. :#

Yours, Larry

I called 2 different departments of the city and they said odor isn't a violation. And one of the agencies doesn't even deal with that sort of thing. I took them to housing court the judge ruled it isn't a violation although she gets radiator odor issues from time to time. This is why the landlords won't do anything. I bet whatever the issue is will cost a fortune so they won't repair it despite the own 4000 apartments thoughout the city.
  • citydweller
    Options
    If the issue is the water treatment...can the odor be hazardous to health?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,354
    Options
    Hi, I like your question about health. Have you called the health department?

Yours, Larry
  • citydweller
    Options

Hi, I like your question about health. Have you called the health department?

Yours, Larry

they dont deal with that.
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Yours, Larry

I called 2 different departments of the city and they said odor isn't a violation. And one of the agencies doesn't even deal with that sort of thing. I took them to housing court the judge ruled it isn't a violation although she gets radiator odor issues from time to time. This is why the landlords won't do anything. I bet whatever the issue is will cost a fortune so they won't repair it despite the own 4000 apartments thoughout the city.

I do all of the work on my own steam system in my home.
    My sense of smell is extremely sensitive and I never smell anything from it. When we first moved in I did notice a smell that seemed similar to rubber, or Band-Aids if that makes any sense. I also know the smell of rusty water pretty well but it was never anything offensive and I only smelled it if I was right by a radiator vent when it was venting.

But after changing everything, rinsing the system out good and running proper water treatment there's never any smell at all especially in the living spaces.

As far as cost, it probably won't much but they need to know what's going on and how to fix it. That seems to be very lacking in the real world. So they would rather just play dumb and hope the problem goes away. Either that or the smell is so little and you're being ridiculous. I'm sorry but, I have to assume that's also a possibility without actually being there.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Intplm.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,020
    Options
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news. Unless the management is will to shell out the money, to properly assess the entire system, you are up the creak without a paddle. Steam is system and you will rarely solve any serious problems by addressing individual components. 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,757
    Options
    Some units might have leaking steam vents which could let a lot more smell in. Some units might have steam vents that are failed closed which will result in a lot less.

You can experiment with taping over the vent's hole during the heating season which might tell you if the smell is coming from the air/steam or from the exterior of the radiator.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    CLamb
  • citydweller
    Options
    I experimented with taping the vent and venting it out the window didnt matter. And the smell is so strong you smell it through half of the apt. I had my parents live here and they were disgusted last winter and friends over everyknow can smell how pungent is and again multiple neighbors complain too and no hope. If I had money I'd just move out of here.
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 634
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @citydweller lets hold on a minute and back up a bit. Some questions.
    1. Do you pay monthly for heat based on usage or is it included in your rent?
    2. Is electricity included in your rent monthly or do you pay based on usage?
    3. Show us a picture of your radiator(s). Is there a inlet valve that can be turned off? What do your radiator vents look like?

My first thought would be to 100% turn off the radiators for a bit either by turning the inlet valve off or removing and plugging the vent. Taping the vent shut probably isn't going to work. The heat and pressure will overcome the tape. And the pressure is probably higher than it should be.

Use an oil-filled space heater for a while to keep yourself warm for at least a couple days. Being an apartment building I doubt it will get seriously cold as the other apartments will keep you warm-ish.

Is the smell still there after this experiment? If yes...it isn't your steam radiators. I'm wondering if years of dead/alive critters are stinking up the place when the pipes warm up.

If it is indeed the radiators...your only choice is probably to go overboard being passive-aggressive. Anonymously post flyers at all the entrances and put flyers in everyone's mailboxes. In plain enough sight so management knows about it.

Something like:
    "Recently many tenants have been experiencing odors from their heating system. Are you experiencing odors from your steam radiators during heating season? Management wants to know! Please let us know at 555-867-5309!!! Thank you!"

And keep at it. Every time management begrudgingly rips them down. Put more up.
    "Is your apartment affected by heating odors? Let us know, we want to help, call Bob!!"

Then,
    "We are scheduling appointments to fix the heating system odors in the near future. Please call us ASAP to make an appointment to have your heating system fixed!"

And make long term plans to get out of the apartment when the lease is up because in all likelihood the landlord is getting paid his/her rent money and doesn't care enough to fix the problem.
    Intplm.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    If venting the vent out the window didn't matter the smell is not from inside the steam system.

It's coming from the outside of the radiator or the building it self by the radiator.
    It's a cast iron radiator, there's only so much there....
  • citydweller
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Heat is included with rent. I live in the northeast gets very cold here in the winter you need all the heat you can get lol I would get out of this place today but I'm in financial burden and serious health problems that prevents me from working. The rent is old rent from back in the day.
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 634
    Options
    If your electricity is included, use some space heaters instead.

Unless you turn off the radiator(s) completely during heating season to see if the smell goes away, you'll never know if it is the steam heat or something else. There are too many variables to determine the cause without eliminating the steam heat first.
  • citydweller
    Options
    I can turn off the radiators obviously. So I turn that one off for sure. Space heaters don't do much and no electricity isn't included.