Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hey Spray Painters! Question on Gloss clear coats (rattle cans)

Hey all,

I've done a ton of painting with HVLP and rattle cans. For this project Im doing a color change on my motorcycle tank. I am doing gloss black. I was planning on using a Dupli-color or RustOleum rattle can black and a 2K SprayMax high gloss clear.

With this combination, and using a high gloss clear, should I be using a flat, or satin black paint then lay the gloss clear on top? Or gloss black paint Dupli-color and sand that before shooting my clear? Or is it gloss clear coat on top of gloss paint? I can't recall the basic process, with this combination.

Thanks peeps!
Phil

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    If you sand the color coat before you spray the clear coat it can leave texture that can show in the clear. If the chemistries of the paints are compatible you can spray the clear over the color within the color's recoat time.
  • electronictofu
    electronictofu Member Posts: 18
    That's what I was worried about is sanding the base coat and marks showing. SprayMax 2k clear says comparable with most paints and surfaces. I think like you mentioned timing is key, spray a gloss clear over a gloss paint, just timing before shooting it sounds like it'll be good.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    edited August 2023
    I have sprayed rattle-can Rustoleum on top of Rustoleum from the very same can and everything bubbled up like I applied Zip-Strip. That window for applying the 2nd coat is critical and the weather conditions have a huge impact also. Good luck.

If you can get away with it (without the wife killing you), bake the tank in the oven (200-250*) between coats.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    Sanding is good before the finish colour coat, in my book anyway -- but not between the gloss colour coat and the finish clear coat. The ringer in the deck is to use fine sandpaper -- and I do mean fine. 400 to 800 is none too fine. You're not trying to smooth that finish colour coat finish much, just break the surface enough to get decent adhesion.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2neilc