Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LG Heat Pump Need Neutral?

josephny
josephny Member Posts: 270

I had 3 LG heat pumps units installed (LUU18HHV, LUU24HHV and LYY48HHV) and I just noticed that the wiring to each unit includes 2 hots and a green ground. No neutral wire.

I opened the outdoor disconnect but not the wiring panel on the LG units.

I know enough to know that a ground does not take the place of (or serve the same purpose as) a neutral. Nonetheless, this is a single family house in a rural area and the grounds and neutral lines are all tied together in the breaker panel.

Is this okay?

Here's a pic:

(Don't know why a black and a red were used.)

Mad Dog_2

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    If the equipment has no need of 120 volts -- which is actually rather common -- there's no need for a neutral. Black and red are the two colours normally used for hot lines. White would be a neutral and green ground. It would appear from the photo that somoone used a white wire for a hot, however. They should have marked it, but... that often gets overlooked.

I personally am not at all keen about the bare ground that close to the left hand break block, but... that's me.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Rich_49
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    edited August 2023
    If the equipment is 240v only the ratings plate will say 240vac, it it needs 120v so it needs a neutral it will say 120/240 vac.
    GGross
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    edited August 2023
    Not familiar with the LYY part number, but the others are 208/230

when you hook up the control wire to the heads those are polarity sensitive and must be connected to the corresponding terminal on both the IDU and ODU
  • josephny
    josephny Member Posts: 270
    Thank you all!

The unit says 208/230.

Other than the ground being too close, and the white instead of red used for a hot line to the unit, it sounds like I'm fine.

Thank you!!