Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help identify / rebuild 70 y/o valve (custom brass washer needed)

sixplex
sixplex Member Posts: 89
edited August 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
So i got these valves on my monoflo system.

They control the flow either by turning the handle,
or removing the main nut, and rotating the stem.

Original packing is rope/string, they leak a bit.

Local company rebuilt one for $200 by putting in 2 brass washers and 2 o rings.

Any idea where i can get custom sized brass o rings to replicate the repair?

Comments

• sixplex

• sixplex
    edited August 2023

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Auto Parts stores have O ring kits. Also hydraulic repair shops for larger sizes.

You can build your own O rings with these kits. Sand and polish the surfaces where the o ring slides.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • sixplex
    Thanks. What of the brass washers?   O rings are sandwiched between them, a spring held by the packing nut pushes down 
  • hot_rod
    Are the brass washers damaged somehow. Slide them across some emery or wet/dry sandpaper to clean and smooth them.

McMaster Carr is another good source for unusual parts like that.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    A fine wire wheel in a drill press or scotchbrite are good for cleaning that up too. There are a few web sites that just sell o-rings where you can get any size or material you want(of synthetic rubber). The brass washers are harder to find if they are severely damaged.
  • garfieldsimons
    garfieldsimons Member Posts: 14
    Find someone around who has a lathe in their garage or basement. There should plenty around. Turning a washer out of brass is no big deal. Just have to measure them well.
    CLamb
  • sixplex
    Original packing had no washers. Just some sort of string.

They custom made made brass washers
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    sixplex said:
    Original packing had no washers. Just some sort of string. They custom made made brass washers
    Teflon String. 
    McMaster Carr
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Use string packing like ti was originally or had been repacked with at some point. There does have to be a washer or tight fitting part of the packing nut that keeps the stem from pulling the packing out with it. Tighten it gently then put more packing in, don't go nuts trying to compress it all at once or you can break the packing nut.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Let's not over-complicate this. Start with these: (they are copper)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-copper-washer-assortment-67526.html
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    MikeAmann said:
    Let's not over-complicate this. 
    That would be a first!  :p
    MikeAmann
  • sixplex
    I've looked at diagrams of other rad valve, they all use brass glands/washers with epdm packing.
    Not considering copper.

Stock washers won't do, it needs to be a custom made brass one. Needs to fit pretty tightly in there, the o-ring may bind/tear otherwise eventually
  • hot_rod
    sixplex said:
    I've looked at diagrams of other rad valve, they all use brass glands/washers with epdm packing. Not considering copper. Stock washers won't do, it needs to be a custom made brass one. Needs to fit pretty tightly in there, the o-ring may bind/tear otherwise eventually
    Uf it has brass washers as the wear surface or retainers for the o ring, I would not leave them out

Valves that use packing string have a packing gland for the packing to reside in and stay put

I wonder if there are online machine shops where you send a drawing of the part you need?

Ive found machinest, welders, roofers, gunsmiths, on the local classified or FB messenger. Retired trades folk that work from a home shop.

Heck a drill motor vice and a file could fab a simple brass washer.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Larry Weingarten