Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this galvanized pipe or what was it used for?

Options
butchball
butchball Member Posts: 1

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    That's an older downspout pipe, such as used to be used for gutters. What it was used for in that setting I haven't a clue, but I'd bet on a vent of some kind.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Hi, Looks like it might have been a wall furnace vent, though that should be double walled pipe. Does it exit through the roof? Is there evidence of a gas line at the base of the wall?

Yours, Larry

ps, As the wall is open, might be time to get rid of the knob and tube wiring. ;)
    Mad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    Register box or maybe an exhaust fan.
    Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Where is it located? If there was power to it I would guess exhaust fan

what is the termination look like? Does it have a damper/ flapper?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,988
    Options
    Lemme guess..right under where the stove was?  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Larry Weingarten
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Or it was above the stove and gave some gravity flow heat to the second floor.

Couldn't have been much. This was usually done with a thru the floor/ceiling register that would have heated the room above it for sure. You needed to leave the stairwell door open for return.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    I have seen a few very old what looked like passive vents above ranges.
    JUGHNE
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    There's electric in that-thaire wall! See the knob holding the cloth insulated wire?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Back in the nineteen eighties, I went to fix a leak on a drain serving an entire bathroom group. Was the only bathroom in the house. Was a relatively nice place.
    Pulled the lathe and plaster down and found that type of old downspout pipe for their main drain!? The customer wasn't ready for the bad news of having to change everything from the second floor to the basement.
    When finishing up I asked the customer when the house was built. He said in the nineteen thirties.
    I thought, later on, the things people will do out of desperation. This had not leaked for over fifty years.
    This pipe was installed during the Depression and lasted all that time.
    The above picture brought me back. Wow.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    Intplm. said:

Back in the nineteen eighties, I went to fix a leak on a drain serving an entire bathroom group. Was the only bathroom in the house. Was a relatively nice place.
    Pulled the lathe and plaster down and found that type of old downspout pipe for their main drain!? The customer wasn't ready for the bad news of having to change everything from the second floor to the basement.
    When finishing up I asked the customer when the house was built. He said in the nineteen thirties.
    I thought, later on, the things people will do out of desperation. This had not leaked for over fifty years.
    This pipe was installed during the Depression and lasted all that time.
    The above picture brought me back. Wow.

Sounds better than Orangeberg, :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,975
    Options
    @ChrisJ ....... Worked with that too. LOL.

Can you believe that the depression era folks who installed that downspout had tied it into a large tin can used as the closet flange for the toilet?
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    Intplm. said:

@ChrisJ ....... Worked with that too. LOL.

Can you believe that the depression era folks who installed that downspout had tied it into a large tin can used as the closet flange for the toilet?

I can't even imagine.....
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment