Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two zones getting heat- only one being powered

rob51
rob51 Member Posts: 67
Hi.  I recently changed out my thermostat wire in my taco 504 relay box.  When I went to turn the boiler back on, DHW (which runs from the relay) and 1st floor zone heating turned on at the same time.  There was no call for heat for the first floor- only DHW.  Is this a stuck check valve?  What are my options besides replacing the flocheck valves?  Maybe something else is wrong?  Thank you. 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    General rule. If you do something -- in this case changing out the thermostat wire -- and something which worked right before doesn't work right now, start with what was changed and go over it completely and actually verify that it is all correct. Sometimrs helpful to get another set of eyes on.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    STEVEusaPA
  • rob51
    Thank you.  Yes.  I checked.  It’s only calling for one zone of heating (the DHW).  The other zone which is heating isn’t being called for according to the relay panel indicator lights.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    Is the misbehaving zone valve opening? If so, where is it getting power? It's possible the relay block got fried -- but I'd b very sure there isn't an odd short somewhere before starting to replace parts.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Zoned with pumps.? If so the check or flo check would be a place to look.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • rob51
    I figured it out.  I had the thermostat wires were hooked up incorrectly.  Too many wires and not enough time, if you ask me.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    rob51 said:
    I figured it out.  I had the thermostat wires were hooked up incorrectly.  Too many wires and not enough time, if you ask me.
    Occam's Razor strikes again.