Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Long Overdue Book

Options
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,096
    Options
    I'm sure I've got a few pushing 50yrs...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited July 2023
    Options
    A first edition book by Maxwell, arguably the father of modern electromagnetism science, has got to be worth some money!  
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,074
    Options
    I couldn't open that story from the times but read it else where.
    There was also a story of someone returning a 1970's Chilton car repair book that he found after 50 years. IIRC, he included 2 100 dollar bills for the fine.

That library said they had to destroy the book because of some grease marks.
    It was pictured and looks cleaner than any auto book I have ever seen.

IMO, the grease marks are just the patina that should be on it if it helped anyone out.
    Mad Dog_2DJD775Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I remember sometime in the 1980s when the Library Police 🚔 decided their fines WERE  a bit ridiculous and made you pay NO MORE THAN the price of the book.  Us Library Book delinquents breathed a huge sigh of relief!  Ha ha 😂 Mad Dog 🐕 
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,649
    Options
    That 1¢ from 1904 is worth over 30¢ today. Pretty steep fines; but then, people took reading seriously back then.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,607
    Options
    I returned a book late and the library here told me they don't have fines anymore
    Mad Dog_2
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,649
    Options
    Ours no longer does, either. I guess they do that to encourage reading? What a shame. Don't people realize that reading is right up there with an opposable thumb and agriculture?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    My Library STILL.!!! has fines but are capped at cost of book and...they'll work with ya.  I'm 55, and take out books like the 10 yr old Pro Football, Pond Life (Remember that book?) And horseracing enthusiast  I was...more than I can read in 2 weeks!  Ha ha.  Still love a real genuine hardcover book...no kindle for me....Mad Dog 🐕