Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fresh Air Inlet styles...

2»

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,432
    Correct @ChrisJ, it’s on the house side. I can’t speak for venting the public sewers. The size of the sewers in the street might act as a combination waste/vent system. 
    ChrisJ
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Yes..fresh air inlets prevent House Traps aka Running Traps from losing the water seal through siphonic action.  Street sewers are vented via manholes .  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited July 2023
    I think these were really cool...customer F.A.I. Plates.  Did you know, the amount and size of holes on a Given size Fresh Air Inlet plate is formulated and is a Question on the NYC LMP exam?  Unless you know the formula or are reeel good with fractions and area of circles, many get it wrong.  Miller Brothers is a Local Shop that has been in the Plumbing & Heating Business more than 100 years. Their first plumbing "vehicle " was a Horse drawn Wagon!   They built many homes in New Hyde Park and Floral Park.  They always did TOP SHELF work...a very classy outfit. Total Gentleman...never bad mouth ANYONE...I modeled Triple Crown largely on them.  The ONLY "knock" they would get..."oh..I know they're the best...but I can't afford them!"  They built and installed so your GRANDKIDS didn't have to redo it!  That's my philosophy.  Family run till today. 

They never had to leave the 4 Surrounding Villages for work . THATS A LOYAL FOLLOWING!  Sadly, they just sold off their, historic original, VERY large corner property on Jericho Tpke with the old Barns and all. I'm very sad to see them winding down.  Kids are not taking over the business.

If I had 5 million bucks to invest, I'd give em each 2.5 million and Take them down the road toward another 100 years.  Mad Dog 
  • Mad Dog_2
    The end of an era....I was very privileged to be invited to their super exclusive, office Christmas 🎄 Party each year, only Fambly, close friends like Hans (provided the German liqueur) and a small handful of friendly competitors.  

Going to miss the Miller Brothers when they retire.  Mad Dog 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Christ Plumbing Supply two doors down from Miller Brothers has been in continuous operation since 1810!  So much Local history...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Ok two more for the gallery.  I LOVE copper DWV fittings and systems...so tight, neat, slim, durable.  The Cast Iron one was likely smashed by a sewer company with a lump hammer to get a straight shot with the cable.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Every Levittown Long Island Home I have worked in had Cast Iron Lead & Oakum for the "Low" Iron and DWV copper waste & vents. Main water shutoff under kitchen sink. Hanging Boiler in kitchen behind a door, Copper Radiant for heat.  Cute Fire place.  Usually have big, deep yards.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited August 2023
    Screwy Louie  strikes again  They never took out the fill lines or the oil tank when they converted yrs ago. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, the gas utility gave you the HO anything you wanted...You want 4 gas meters so you could turn your two family in to a four family....no problem...you got it...no D.O.B. permits involved....This WILL become an issue when building gets sold or the oil tank let's go   mad Dog