Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion fitting??

kevsul1 Member Posts: 28
 Anyone have any idea what this is. It’s on a heating line for a school. Thinking it’s some kind of expansion fitting but cannot find a vendor that knows anything about it.
Mad Dog_2


  • Karl Reynolds
    Karl Reynolds Member Posts: 63
    Looks a lot like a Metraflex Metragator.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,387
    Hi, Pure guesswork here, but if this is steam, and if those two ports on the underside of the unit aren't blocked, perhaps this is some sort of water heater. Could be a way of adding space heat via hot water...

    Are there any marks of any sort on it?

    Yours, Larry
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,241
    Hmmm very interesting....Expansion joints are used on very long runs of pipe. Anyone, I've  seen in the field, never had a pipe tapping like that or a drain...I defer...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,565
    I believe it’s an expansion fitting. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • kevsul1
    kevsul1 Member Posts: 28
    Ok thank you for your input. It is for a heating hydronic line. There is one on the supply and return. Unfortunately they are no markings or stamps on it that I saw. Any idea who carries something like like so far Yeager, fugerson, Sommerville haven’t been able to help.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 863
    See: the bolt with it's head projecting towards the camera (right of center) and the rust line immediately to it's left? Also notice: the "scrape track" of the bolt-end on the smaller dia. pipe. Seems: like the righthand flange assembly and pipe...pulled away. My vote is for: expansion fitting.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 642
    edited June 2023
    spec attached

    ratioGroundUpMad Dog_2