Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

'LAZING ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON.."

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
edited June 2023 in THE MAIN WALL

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    I'd rather be here than watching Golf ⛳ on the couch 🛋....WM
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesPC7060GGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    Ya gotta take everything you own on these jobs. Cream colored carpets...hmmm...WM EG Direct Replacement with two HW zones off of  Domestic Coil.  They have an 18 year old Noritz Tankless water heater chugging along..never been serviced...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,087
    Nipple trays are awesome
    Mad Dog_2
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    The MM 67 is secondary LWCO?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Yes...Had nipple Caddys  for 1/2"  & 3/4" ...Got beat up..chucked em.....Anything I don't use gets returned.  I run a very lean 🏃‍♂️ operation these days..#67 will be primary...Probe secondary.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    I like the manual flush...The boiler gets much more love and attention this way.. mad Dog 🐕 
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    @Mad Dog_2. You have a lot more faith in your customers than I do!! 
    Mad Dog_2
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    I have nipple trays up to 2". Still trying to figure out a way to make nipple trays for larger sizes. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 955
    edited June 2023
    I hope that you are using sch 80 piping below the water line. We had nipple kits for all size nipples from 1/2" through 2" for both sch 40 and sch 80. I would rather use my 4# sledge to crack that CI 90 than lay in the dirt with a Milwaukee Sawzall. Just saying.
    JUGHNEMad Dog_2
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    edited June 2023
    Who uses sch 80 on a home heating system?
    Anyone worth their weight uses sch 160 at a minimum or sch XXH.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    JohnNY said:

ChrisJ said:

Who uses sch 80 on a home heating system?
    Anyone worth their weight uses sch 160 at a minimum or sch XXH.

It's true. I plumb my boilers with the same stuff I build my Titanic exploration submersibles out of. 9 times out of 10 it holds up great.

(Too soon?)

I keep telling you the systems you install run at way too high of a pressure. :D
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2GGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    Nah..I only use The Best on wet returns...AAA Lead with 40/60 wiping solder!!! Touche! Nah..not too early.l, Johnny .. Its horrible  (RIP) I said a prayer 🙏 for em, but these folks PAID $250, 000 for a wild, dangerous and risky adventure 😕.  Jump out of planes...Fight a Bull..scuba dive with Sharks 🦈,  you're taking you're chances.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Retired Guy...These are original steel wet returns in a mostly finished basement.  90 years old, but well flushed over the years so no blockages.  One good smack with a lumper on the 90, could mean a nice leaker behind the wall.  To me, getting dirty is par for the course...especially boiler guys.  Clean at the end of the night 🌙.   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    @Mad Dog_2

I have to agree with @retiredguy I'd break the 90. Doesn't look like a good spot to pick pipe out of an elbow but that's just me.

I would put something solid under the elbow between the elbow and the floor so you don't bounce the old piping around and give it a good wack.

but everyone has there own methods and whatever works for u is the way to go
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    edited June 2023
    I'm with mad dog on this one. Just personal preference. But I would be using Milwaukee 12 volts or 18 volts hackzall.  Gives you lot more control. And fresh blade. Definitely would have been easier without boiler in place. But we have all painted ourselves into corners!!
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    The way, I look at it, the less I shake & Vibrate the old pipe, the better.  . Sawzall & caping out the nipple is less destructive.   I can always smash and bash the 90, but that's going to send worse Shockwave   mad Dog 🐕 
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • ChrisJ
    Ok.

I have disagreements with Mad Dog from time to time, but this time I'm on his side.

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Ha ha  is that NEWMAN??? Thats Ok...we're sparring partners fighting on the same Boxing Team!   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited June 2023
    All done.  It was great and THERAPEUTIC to get away from spreadsheets, administrative duties and paperwork and get grimy and sweaty..on this WM EG 45 (Gas Steam) with two hydronic zones off of the domestic coil.  Tight quarters and had to pipe around the 18 yr old Noritz tankless Water Heater. Brought in a Licensed electrician who "does boilers" just to save my very limited time.  Very pleasant fella, but he wired a few things wrong, so I had to run out for T 18 and straighten it out. Also, for the first time in 40 years, I saw an Aqaustat well leak in to the well..brand new!  Never even seen an older one leak like this!  Came with Aqaustat so who knows where its made these days...but I have my guesses. Really Enjoyed this..Mad Dog 🐕 
    WMno57
  • Mad Dog_2
    I miss my Hercules Black Magic asphalt pain for the black pipe.  My paint guy gave me a subsitite...burnt right off when steam came up.  I was trying to avoid the STINK of a black rustoleum,  but I guess that's whats next.  Any suggestions?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Allislandradiant
    Allislandradiant Member Posts: 38
    Looking Good!! What brand name are the circulator isolation valves?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Not sure.  I'll find out.  The G.C. purchased everything.  I asked for Webstone and that's what I got..Thanks Uncle Richard!!!  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,152
    edited June 2023
    Nice job, Mad Dog! 🐩

What's going on with the leaking sensor well? It looks brand new.

And I like the way you extended the strut supporting the pumps.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks Alan...I couldn't believe it.  I'm taking apart the wiring that "the guy that does boilers" did wrong and I see a drip drip. Yeah...didnt have much room, so I had to shoe-horn everything in. Kindorf is one of the greatest inventions in the industry.  Love it   mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Cherry on the Sundae...The substitute for Black Magic bubbled off as soon a The Steam came up!   Rustled Hi Temp. Flat..next time I'll try Glossy black. Mad Dog 🐕 
  • ChrisJ
    How can you blow that 67 down into a bucket?

• Mad Dog_2
    Put bucket under, pull yellow up...voila! Had the lady of the house do it!  Twice.  Don't know if a 5 gallon bucket would be too high...Medium size bucket perfect!  Mad Dog 🐕 
    ChrisJ
  • Mad Dog_2
    The frontal shot shows no depth.  Sidr shot does...I often bring #67  away from the boiler w unions...mad dog 🐕 
    ChrisJ
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,127
    As it always was as it is now top notch workmanship . It s always great to see some of the original pros showing their skill set being a lot of them have moved on and up in the world of wrench spinners to jobs where there skill and knowledge are appreciated and paid properly . As always w Matt all USA stuff no china and I see his as usually soldering skills ,old school most would just press ,also on another note gotta love the use of brass nipples . Top notch . As for the well leaking it was most likely over sea made and pushed by Honeywell china ,kinda lucky still digging out aquastat wells from 30 years ago .
    As always Matt have a great holiday and I called in for you ,you’re allowed to take this Sunday off but don’t forget the lawn ,the family, fireworks and a beer .
    Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks Clamster...Means the world coming from you!  Yeah..I always preferred  a muddy football or rugby 🏉 pitch to "coaching" from the sidelines.  Being a manager is very cool, but the paperwork is ehhhhh..I'd rather been getting grimy in Battlefields of the boiler room!  Matty Jr treated me to Steve Miller Band at Jones Beach.what an experience.   Slept in today..up at 6am.   Gotta do a shower 🚿 body and some old copper leaks from Flux that was never wiped off.  Then, decommission my 2nd fl Condenser and Air Handler...Story for another day.  Doin Refrigerant Recovery later..Ist time...hee hee 😜.   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Just found the BEFORE pictures.  Ya like that backpitched equalizer?  That 3/4" black nipple in to the boiler snapped off when I touched it.  One HW zone was pulled off the muddy condensate and the other off a domestic coil.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    I'm actually replacing my own units in my house as we speak with help from a very sharp with AC coworkers coaching, but I'm not looking to start doing AC...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • ChrisJ
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    I'm actually replacing my own units in my house as we speak with help from a very sharp with AC coworkers coaching, but I'm not looking to start doing AC...Mad Dog 🐕 
    Oh boy.......

:)
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    C'mon..Chris...Joisey ain't that far...I'll pick ya up in "Hoeboken" by Sinatra's birthplace..a, a I mean Joe Piscopo's.  You show me what to do ???  😂 🤣 😆 .  Mad Dog 🐕