Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does anyone have experience with indirect water heaters that use a composite tank (WM AquaPro)?

Ive found a few reviews, mostly positive. Almost nothing on YouTube. I am not aware of any other models that use a composite tank. Seems to make sense, plastic is corrosion resistant. Lightweight for easy install.

I like the idea but I would like to hear experiences if you've had them.

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    edited June 2023
    Rheem makes the Marathorn..

Are you looking for a indirect or as the east coast trades call it a "Sidearm" ?

Just keep in mind the coils that heat the water on most waterheaters the are made of Copper which can also be affected by poor Domestic water or not maintaining correct Heating system fluid.

If you are looking for a nice waterheater check out the Latendo which is a "Plastic" Reverse indirect with multiple Stainless Steel Coils that are intergratable with Solar/Boilers/AWHP.
    It also has a Phase changing material which can be very advantageous.
    Edit: The formation of Legionella in Reverse indirects is greatly reduced.
    ethicalpaul
  • ThatF_inGuyInNY
    ThatF_inGuyInNY Member Posts: 62

Are you looking for a indirect or as the east coast trades call it a "Sidearm" ?

Just keep in mind the coils that heat the water on most waterheaters the are made of Copper which can also be affected by poor Domestic water or not maintaining correct Heating system fluid.

If you are looking for a nice waterheater check out the Latendo which is a "Plastic" Reverse indirect with multiple Stainless Steel Coils that are intergratable with Solar/Boilers/AWHP.

Looking for an indirect. I already have one. I have an amtrol boiler mate/purepro. First one started leaking after 4 years. Second one now has the same issue after 3 years. I am done with amtrol. I dont really have water quality issues, but I have completely lost my tolerance for reliability issues. I know that tank material only addresses one aspect of quality, but it seems to make sense to me.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265
    @ThatF_inGuyInNY we install Weil-McLain indirects frequently in NY/NJ and they seem to last. We had a run of units with aquastats that didn't last but we replaced some of those with standard Honeywell aquastats which solved that issue. That's old news though.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • ThatF_inGuyInNY
    JohnNY said:

@ThatF_inGuyInNY we install Weil-McLain indirects frequently in NY/NJ and they seem to last. We had a run of units with aquastats that didn't last but we replaced some of those with standard Honeywell aquastats which solved that issue. That's old news though.

Have you installed one of the newer style with the composite tank?
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573

Looking for an indirect. I already have one. I have an amtrol boiler mate/purepro. First one started leaking after 4 years. Second one now has the same issue after 3 years. I am done with amtrol. I dont really have water quality issues, but I have completely lost my tolerance for reliability issues. I know that tank material only addresses one aspect of quality, but it seems to make sense to me.
    Well or municipal water?
  • ThatF_inGuyInNY

Well or municipal water?
    municipal. 45ppm chloride. I believe my last two leaks were due to design defects (leaking top gasket on the coil flange). I just want a tank thats going to last a long time. I also need it to be available to me through a legitimate retailer. I like the crown mega-stor, but only available to contractors.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    if the gasket is leaking, can't you replace the gasket?

you could use an htp or most of the other stainless tanks with 45 ppm cholorides.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265
    Have you installed one of the newer style with the composite tank?
    No. It looks to me like they’re rebranding the Burnham Alliance LT. Cool.  
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462

The Amtrol is a Plastic lined tank.
    If you are having 2 failures in 7 years you do have a water quality issue...just might not be chlorides.
    I have used a bunch of Amtrol Boilermates (not my 1st choice) but they are ok.

I would look into a Bradford White Powerstor. Glasslined steel. 3 anodes. Good warranty.

hot_rod
  • seized123
    seized123 Member Posts: 297
    @ThatF_inGuyInNY, did you ever decide on a thermoplastic water heater, and if so, which one? I'm looking into them, as I have high chlorides.
  • ThatF_inGuyInNY
    seized123 said:

@ThatF_inGuyInNY, did you ever decide on a thermoplastic water heater, and if so, which one? I'm looking into them, as I have high chlorides.

I ended up going with the WM aqua plus. The aqua pro was perpetually on backorder and I didnt feel like taking my chances waiting on it.
  • seized123
    seized123 Member Posts: 297
    edited October 2023
    Thanks, will look more closely at it. Been looking at the Vaughn Featherweight and Burnham Alliance LT, which I think are really the same thing. Unlike you, I do have water problems (chlorides), so I'd have to go with the Pro.