Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Help

ColdCoach
ColdCoach Member Posts: 3
edited June 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a new but old circa 1945 home that needs allot of love. There is an old Boiler, a Standard Dominion & Sanitary Radiator Boiler converted to Natural Gas at the heart of it.

I know nada!!!! So even asking a proper questions would be a challenge, I will poste a couple of pics.

I am looking for someone to help me and my construction guy to get this behemoth going properly. There seems to 2 loops and right now some radiators are providing heat, thank god as its June and we have temps of 2 c.

O am looking for a coach who I would pay to support getting this thing running and and giving us some insights.

Like most old things its simple and once some knowledge is gained then maybe I can survive June (I mean really there is a ton of snow north of here after a month of forest fires).

I can be reached at Coach@conroyhockey.com or 587-888-1097. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    Well you've got nat gas so you're not off grid somewhere. Are there no heating contractors by you?
    Is this a DIY thing, because I wouldn't sign my name to anything not done by a pro. No offense. 

Ever think about replacing it with a boiler designed from at least the late 20th century? Even a simple atmospheric comes with safety upgrades I'm sure yours doesn't have. 

Any pics? This could be fun.
  • ColdCoach
    No budget at this time to change, maybe later. Here are some pics. Old is not always bad!

• HVACNUT
    ColdCoach said:
    Old is not always bad! 
    True, but that is.

• HVACNUT
    Is that a gas cock on the return near the circulator?
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    It isn't as much that it is old as it is people that didn't know what they were doing have worked on it.
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    I cant imagine how much asbestos is floating around in that room every time something is stirred up.
    random12345Mad Dog_2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    I would say that "gas cock" is a balancing/isolation valve for the circulator.

The first thing IIWM would be to add water to the boiler---only when cold!

You show no pressure on the gauge and should have at least perhaps 12 PSI.

This will depend upon the height of the piping to the 2nd floor if any.

There is probably a cold water supply valve that will feed water into the boiler, see if that raises the pressure and the floor stays dry.

Some where in the system there is an expansion tank. Maybe at the ceiling in the basement.
    But more likely in the attic or high on the highest floor. Those could be a square or round tank maybe 2' square or round. If in the attic it may be wrapped in insulation.

Show us the radiators, expansion tank, gas piping, close up of gas valve and where the pipe to the small pump goes to and from.
    ColdCoach
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    I'm just a homeowner, not a pro, and I appreciate the old stuff (old radiators, boilers), but that thing looks like a health hazard. Get rid of it. At least get it tested for asbestos so you know what you're dealing with.
    Mad Dog_2MikeAmann
  • mattmia2
    JUGHNE said:

You show no pressure on the gauge and should have at least perhaps 12 PSI.

If it is an open tank in the attic it could be a fair bit less than that.

This system looks older than 1945. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that it is 1945 but it looks a decade or so older. Is Standard Sanitary & Dominion Radiator the Canadian version of American- Standard/American Radiator Company?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    I don't see many good things about this boiler.

However, it sounds like he is using it for heat and should at least be sure it is full of water.

If money allowed, the asbestos could be removed. He will have to pay for that at some point anyway.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    If it were in my house, and I could look at it everyday, at the very least, I'd Add in a Blocked Vent Switch, Roll out switch, and  LWCO.  Make sure the sections are cleaned AND VACUUMED, have a Standard Plug in CO detector or hard wired in the boiler room and an NCI low level CO detector (The Best I have found)  battery operated.  I'd also go over every inch of it while under fire 🔥 with my analyzer to pick up ANY CO spillage or leaks...Furnace cement as needed.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    Take the free but priceless advice from @Mad Dog_2, and start saving. Do you get a bonus if you win the Jack Adams?

Mad Dog_2
  • ColdCoach
    Hi tha

nk you for your Reponses I am adding some more pics as requested.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    That’s a large abatement project. 
    HVACNUT
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,549
    edited June 2023
    You got to be kidding me. This has to be a gag. I don't know anyone who would take this on.
    You need a new sys and I know it is expensive but you have to do it.
    There might be a contractor that replaced a good functioning boiler for a new Mod/Con that you might get for cheap. Used may be an economic option.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited June 2023
    Everyone is looking at the problems with this equipment. I see a real easy system to work on... All the electric covers have already been removed. The pipes are easy to see since someone has already removed the asbestos insulation, (You can still see some remnants left over). Big leaky doors to look inside at the fire. There is so much that is good about this system.
    EDIT. Found another thing... the safety tube from the relief valve discharge is non existent. Just another thing that is not going to get in the way of easy access!

This message has been a service of the National Sarcasm Society

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

pecmsgHomerJSmithMikeAmann
  • mattmia2
    Is that gauge in psi or feet of water?
  • HVACNUT
    edited June 2023
    I think all it needs is a motor and coupling and you're good to go.

mattmia2realliveplumber