Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Attic expansion tank

Options
Evan0307
Evan0307 Member Posts: 9
Anyone have any ideas for how I can off load my attic expansion tank? It is a neat old tank with rivets and "Columbus Supply Co." marked on it. I really dont want to throw it out. We replaced our gravity boiler with a modern one and the attic tank was no longer needed. I am in Ohio. Anyone close by who would want it? I assume these aren't that rare but thought I would try here first.

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,050
    Options
    It's cool...put it at the Curb with a Note "FREE'...if its still there in 3 days, Junkyard...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

It's cool...put it at the Curb with a Note "FREE'...if its still there in 3 days, Junkyard...Mad Dog 🐕 

I'd put "Do NOT take". Probably go faster...lol

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterManMad Dog_2
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Thats a real shame :^((
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,320
    Options
    Hi, Is there any chance it can take domestic water pressure? Can an anode be added to it? If so, and if you have a warm place near your water heater, this might be useful as a tempering tank, to somewhat preheat water going into your existing heater... That may be a lot of work for a little gain. :| Or cut it in half and have two really fancy pots for plants!

Yours, Larry
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,277
    Options
    I presume easy access to attic? Then consider reroute overflow and continue using it. Better than modern balloons.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,938
    Options

Hi, Is there any chance it can take domestic water pressure? Can an anode be added to it? If so, and if you have a warm place near your water heater, this might be useful as a tempering tank, to somewhat preheat water going into your existing heater... That may be a lot of work for a little gain. :| Or cut it in half and have two really fancy pots for plants!

Yours, Larry

Not a good idea. You don't know what that tank has in it after all these years. Maybe Larry would like to use it in his home? I would not want to use it in my home.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,070
    Options
    If you put it at the curb with a note saying.....For Sale $10.....it will get stolen and someone else will haul it to the salvage yard for you and get their $2 cash.
    Mad Dog_2realliveplumbermattmia2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,320
    Options
    Hi @EdTheHeaterMan , I’ve got to agree with you. I only imagined water being in the tank, but who knows what else might have been lurking there 👽

Yours, Larry
    Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,070
    Options
    Vented to atmosphere means open to anything that might fit down that top pipe.
    Nice warm humid living environment inside but most mice can't swim that long and would turn into floaters. Then hope that pipe is vented out thru the roof.
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 522
    Options
    Wouldn't the rivets date it back 100 years ? 
    Someone would want it.... Advertise it for $300-400 and accept what you want...
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,708
    Options
    craigslist, facebook marketplace. free if you don't really care if it gets scrapped, put like $10 on it if you want to try to discourage that. There are people who want it but they likely aren't close enough to come get it.