Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

InSinkErator Garbage Disposal

Options
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,016
edited June 2023 in Plumbing
On my last disposal installation with a Badger V, I came across a modification of the clamping ring. It has a small bump out on the inside of the ring that keys into a notch on the disposal body - see attached photo. The bottom ring has the bump out.

It turns out to be a big deal as it prevents you from orienting the disposal in the direction most beneficial. It only gives you 3 choices for mounting.

Just very curious as to why they did this.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
Mad Dog_2

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    Options
    they replied to the same concern on their website:

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    So.
    It's like everything else.

To make it easier for unskilled people and make other's lives harder.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    kcoppMad Dog_2
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Thanks, @dko.

I like their use of the word "simply". And it does not make installation easier.

But I'll watch the video. Maybe I've got something to learn.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Mad Dog_2
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options
    The video on their site shows you locking the disposal ring, then you can twist the disposal in either direction to align it. The disposal still spins in the gasket after the ring is locked.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options

The video on their site shows you locking the disposal ring, then you can twist the disposal in either direction to align it. The disposal still spins in the gasket after the ring is locked.

Yeah, coincidentally I just installed one a couple weeks ago and that was my experience
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Yeah, coincidentally I just installed one a couple weeks ago and that was my experience

But yours isn't a Badger.
    Are they the same setup?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,702
    edited June 2023
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Are they the same setup?
    Aren't they all either Insinkerator or Waste King and the various brandings of Insinkerator is like 99% of the market?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

ChrisJ said:

Are they the same setup?
    Aren't they all either Insinkerator or Waste King and the various brandings of Insinkerator is like 99% of the market?
    Insinkerator has the Badger which is their cheap line.
    Then they have their Evolution series, like Paul and I have which is their upper end disposal.

ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Do they still make the auto reversing GD?

I have a "Pro 77", in use for nearly 30 years. Plugged up only 3 times in that period.
    Plunger got it draining, it has it's own sink basin and trap.

Breaking all the rules by putting coffee filters and grounds in it. Also egg shells etc, everything but bones and large amounts of grease. Even a few tempered glass pieces when a fridge shelf crystallized in the sink.

A few trays of ice cubes now and then seems to clean it up.

We make a point to run it twice for each use and get the reverse spin.

It was well worth the extra money at that time.
    ttekushan_3
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

I have a "Pro 77", in use for nearly 30 years.

Yes, the Pro 77 is now the Evolution Pro 1100XL
    JUGHNE
  • ChrisJ
    edited June 2023
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

I have a "Pro 77", in use for nearly 30 years. Plugged up only 3 times in that period.
    Plunger got it draining, it has it's own sink basin and trap.

Breaking all the rules by putting coffee filters and grounds in it. Also egg shells etc, everything but bones and large amounts of grease. Even a few tempered glass pieces when a fridge shelf crystallized in the sink.

A few trays of ice cubes now and then seems to clean it up.

We make a point to run it twice for each use and get the reverse spin.

It was well worth the extra money at that time.

Yes I think all of the Evolution ones are auto reversing.
    I've put bones down mine a few times.
    JUGHNE
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    I have stopped using ISE. The quality has dropped, and they make the warranty process very difficult.
    Moen has been a better experience.

realliveplumberMad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Moen looks like it is definitely a rebadged waste king.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    I just replaced a badger with the same thing (in April) and had the same issue. Somehow I got it to line up to the existing piping ok.

Maybe it will fall off the sink LOL but hasn't yet. I like the older version of the lock ring
    Mad Dog_2Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Same here but I didn’t immediately figure out the disposal could be adjusted.  Wasted a few minutes resetting to improve alignment.  :s
    Mad Dog_2ethicalpaul
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,033
    Options
    To us New Yorkers, Garbage Disposals were a "California thing."  The became legal in NYC maybe 10-12 years ago...Some people on Long Island 🏝 had em...seen them upstate sometimes.  I guess they serve a purpose, But always more of an annoyance and space-taker'upper under an already crowed Kitchen Sink...Mad Dog  🐕 
    STEAM DOCTORGGross
  • ChrisJ
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    To us New Yorkers, Garbage Disposals were a "California thing."  The became legal in NYC maybe 10-12 years ago...Some people on Long Island 🏝 had em...seen them upstate sometimes.  I guess they serve a purpose, But always more of an annoyance and space-taker'upper under an already crowed Kitchen Sink...Mad Dog  🐕 
    Put one in and use it for a few months.

You'll never go back.   I promise.

I'm not sure why they were a California thing when plenty of us in "that other states" have had them for decades.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Why were they illegal in NY before that time?

In NE every house built since the 70's has one.

My FIL questioned the wisdom of washing food material down the drain rather than putting it in a compost pile.

I replied that this is ground up and sent down to our disposal plant. The water, tested to satisfy all State standards, ends up in the river.
    The separated sludge ends up sprayed on crop land.

Also if one did not compost, and instead put food garbage in the trash, it would be buried in a sealed landfill and never benefit the earth. (Perhaps as in NYC).

He seemed to agree with my answer.....points made by SIL.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    I think the sludge at the treatment plant in most areas goes to a landfill or incinerator. i know it is composted in some places but I don't think that is guaranteed. i have heard that treatment plants don't like it because they have to fish it out and put it in a landfill instead of you throwing it in a landfill.

Most houses in michigan have got them when built since the 50's.
    ethicalpaul
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    NYC code officials felt it overloaded the entire waste disposal system in general...that's why.  I love Composting...Great Idea...Believe it or not, many sewage treatment plants in NY barge out the remaining sludge and dump it at Sea...yukkk...I don't like it, but thats what they do...I don't agree,, Like Some South American Countries and others that human waate can be used for composting agricultural fields...that nasty 😠 too  Mad Dog 
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    NYC code officials felt it overloaded the entire waste disposal system in general...that's why.  I love Composting...Great Idea...Believe it or not, many sewage treatment plants in NY barge out the remaining sludge and dump it at Sea...yukkk...I don't like it, but thats what they do...I don't agree,, Like Some South American Countries and others that human waate can be used for composting agricultural fields...that nasty 😠 too  Mad Dog 
    Was Staten Island different because I have a friend that's had one there for over 30 years.

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Nope...5th Boro..same code...people still had em.  Usually people with  a few extra bucks. Mad 🐕 
  • mattmia2
    Options
    There was definitely a Seinfeld about an illegal garbage disposal.

Milorginite is a thing, but most places don't do that. I suspect there is an issue with chemicals and metals too.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I know they use it in Mexican agriculture and they wonder why we get E Coli asparagus.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    ethicalpaul
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

There was definitely a Seinfeld about an illegal garbage disposal.

Kramer put one in his shower.......

ChrisJttekushan_3mattmia2JakeCK
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Sometime back, perhaps in the 80's there was an ad for water pressure operated GD.

The house water pressure was to spin the disposal. This was to avoid the cost of electrical to the sink.

The ad campaign was short lived, has anyone ever seen one in operation?

You must have had to open a water valve to power it.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Sometime back, perhaps in the 80's there was an ad for water pressure operated GD.

The house water pressure was to spin the disposal. This was to avoid the cost of electrical to the sink.

The ad campaign was short lived, has anyone ever seen one in operation?

You must have had to open a water valve to power it.

Could be a batch feed deal where the stopper opens the valve. Seems like the rpz backflow preventer would cost more than the electrical.

I know commercial disposals have a water feed directly in to them to dilute the food.
    JakeCK
  • ChrisJ
    Options

mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    The commercial GD's I have installed/serviced have an electric solenoid operated water valve that comes on with the GD. Usually the rinse spray hose is above it and used as needed. The GD might be left on most of the dishwasher loading time. A simple swing check valve is all I have seen for water supply protection.