Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wifi Thermostat....Ecobee or Honeywell?

Options
Howie718
Howie718 Member Posts: 23
Hi All,

I realize this isnt a heating issue, but everyone here seems incredibly knowledgeable.

I am considering swapping out thermostats to wifi enabled. I am looking at the Ecobee Enhanced or the Honeywell Home Model RTH9585WF1004. The geniuses that built my house created 4 zone heat and 2 zone AC with 6 thermostats....UGH!

My boiler is a Peerless MI-e (3 years old), and my AC is Rheem equipment (8 years old).

We have already determined that I don't have a C wire, so he is suggesting using a Fast-Stat relay to supply power.

Between the 2 brands, anyone have experience with them and what problems they may bring me? My HVAC guy likes the Honeywell, but when I asked why, he just said he doesn't know much on the Ecobee.

Thank you, and have a wonderful weekend.

Howie

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    I'm biased toward the Honeywell. I'm constantly removing Nests and installing those. There is a similar model to that using RedLink. It's a much better thermostat with many more options. 
    Not too familiar with the Ecobee. I did install a client requested Ecobee 3? yesterday. Setup was easy, but it only asked if the heat source was a boiler or furnace. This application was a boiler with a hydro coil. So what now? 
  • Howie718
    Howie718 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you. I will check out RedLink. Much appreciated
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    I installed some builder-grade ecobees. Not impressed—they feel cheap.

I use the Honeywell 8000 series when I get to choose. They're reasonably flexible & easily programmed. I avoid the T series, Honeywell managed to make them much harder to configure & program without adding anything useful, other than actual buttons.

• exqheat
    exqheat Member Posts: 185
    Options
    I prefer the Honeywell 8000. It has wireless temp sensors or wired, and the red link is flawless.
    John Cockerill Exquisite Heat www.exqheat.com Precisions boiler control from indoor reset.
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    Both will work fine, it comes down to personal preference. I have an Ecobee in my house and it has been flawless.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    The 8000 redlink stats are great. I use them in commercial multi family all the time. Put thermostat in boiler room and wireless space sensor where ever management wants it. Then as long as they have wifi for management I can set up the redlink gateway for them and now if they get complaints they can adjust from where ever they are. Been very rock solid for us.
    exqheat
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Note that the 8000 series is available in a RedLINK version that will accept wireless sensors & gets internet access via a RedLINK -> wired internet gateway, & a WiFi version that will not accept wireless sensors. Both need a C wire due to the power requirements of the radios.