Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Square Pipes on a Heating System

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited June 2023 in THE MAIN WALL

Square Pipes on a Heating System

Not all pipes are round. Some pipes are square! Dan Holohan tells the story of an interesting hot-water heating system he saw in Germany.

Read the full story here

CLamb

Comments

• JB11701
    JB11701 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks Dan. So informative for us boiler heads, as usual. Square pipe makes nice sturdy baseboard too. Simple is always best---4 way valve on a clock?--can't say I'm a fan either.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Thanks
    Retired and loving it.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    How are square pipes connected?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Welds
    Retired and loving it.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @DanHolohan... Do they sell Square Water by the Liter on Germany? ... and do they leave the direction arrows on the outside of the pipe so someone can change them every 30 minutes? I thought those arrows worked better on the inside so the water knows what direction it should go.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Oh, Ed. :D
    Retired and loving it.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options

Welds

I'm curious. I assume pipes are steel? Are they thick or thin wall? Welded tubes or extruded? Coated inside? Are the cuts finished (reamed)? Are the welds butt or with couplings?

If square holds water what are possibilities for steam?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I don’t recall those details. I visited that building 28 years ago. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • FStephenMasek
    FStephenMasek Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Have any of you-all been to any of the countries formerly occupied or controlled by the USSR? Most hot water heating pipe is bent after heating with torches, and connections made by welding after holes were cut into the pipes. Before they sold it, my wife's parents in Lithuania lived in a farmhouse with a gravity hot water system, and those are common in the countryside, using wood or coal for fuel. There are no controls of any sort.
    Author of Illustrated Practical Asbestos: For Consultants, Contractors, Property Managers & Regulators
    mattmia2CLamb
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I worked on the russian consulate alongside a Russian contractor they brought along from the home country. They were using a stick welder and cutting pipe with a hacksaw. I was hired to install the boiler and boiler room piping. They got the work done but not a pretty sight in this 5 million dollar manse in one of our more elite neighborhoods. It was quite an experience negotiating with someone who spoke no english. We had a consulate interpreter which was quite the experience. I loaned them my sawzall, and whatever tools that I could think of to make it easier. At the end of the project the Consulate chef had a dinner party for all of us, vodka included. Ugh. Fun experience and continued to service the place until we ousted the Russians from the consulate for spying back appx 7 yrs ago. No us taxpayers are paying to have the places guarded by the State Department 24 hrs a day to make sure no one comes back nor any theft. Usually a crew of 3 state department officers monitor it.
    Been an interesting career with many moments like this.