Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New 120V Heat pump HWH...

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
So the 120v Heat pump water heaters are starting to make it into the market.
Has anyone installed one?
How are they working?
Do they put out enough HW?
Who is making them? Only one I see is Rheem...

Seems on paper to be a game changer.

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 603
    edited May 2023
    Options

they had to use 60d rise for the gph recovery because the standard 90d rise would put it in the single digits.
    standard atmospheric gas 40-50 gallon has a ~40 gph recovery at 90d rise.
    but for those that use hot water conservatively, it's definitely huge being able to just plug it into any wall jack.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    A large tank, like 80 gallons running 140F and mixed down give you a big dump load. If you can live with recovery during the night time hours, maybe it works out for some families?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,856
    Options
    They’ve got a 12,000 Btu plugin as well - but it’s a dedicated circuit. 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    As I'm sure you all have heard me say, I run mine in "heat pump only" mode which in my usage truly is heat pump only, verified by kWh usage records (for completion's sake, yes, it will turn on the elements even in this mode if the tank water temp falls too far but it has to be pretty cold to do that and I never see it).

Anyway, I know my unit could run on a 120v circuit and I would have gladly purchased a unit without elements if it had been available.

If anyone from Rheem is listening, I'd REALLY like to have one that uses your plastic tank from the Marathon product!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Larry WeingartenGGrosskcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Not sure the plastic tank would work well w/ the heat pump. I was under the impression the steel tank was the heat transfer.
    i was hoping someone had given these 120V versions a try..
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 603
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I don't think they are being sold yet. (They've definitely been sold and installed according to some youtube videos). I can't buy em because they're not even listed to purchase. Even when checking online, it's all articles about it being released but none for sale. I see pace supply has them listed but I think they just have it in their system but not stock.

Sounds like they have an issue if release date was a year ago and still not shipping.At least in the NYC market.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hi @kcopp , I know a person who did manage to use a Marathon tank with a heat pump, but the heat exchanger was a skinny copper tube slipped down into a fitting from the top of the tank. I do agree that the standard coil around the tank wouldn't be good design. >:)

Yours, Larry
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Are there any split "hot water" heat pumps?

I did see years ago on, IIRC, This Old House, a unit that was a little larger than a dehumidifier that had the

comp unit with a heat exchanger and small pump that connected with water lines to the top and bottom of any tank.

It seems logical that in the event of either a tank failure or a comp failure you would be looking at replacing only one component......rather than trash the entire unit we see today.

Maybe I am just too "old school" in reusing things.

• random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    edited May 2023
    Options
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,856
    Options
    @JUGHNE Nyle had the E8, it looks like it might be discontinued.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hi @kcopp , I know a person who did manage to use a Marathon tank with a heat pump, but the heat exchanger was a skinny copper tube slipped down into a fitting from the top of the tank. I do agree that the standard coil around the tank wouldn't be good design. >:) Yours, Larry
    The Butler Solar Wand!
     I see they have a electric version now to drop into a tank connection for PV dhw

i have used the hydronic wand, they work well within their capacity range

These drop into a 3/4 connection 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp