Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating season over

JohnRambo76
JohnRambo76 Member Posts: 19
The heating season is over, do I drain my steam boiler, run some rectorseal or surgemaster in boiler before draining, do I not need to drain water if not being used till next heating season? What do all you do when your boiler won’t be used for another 5-6 months?

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,701
    Do not drain it, just leave it.

I tend to increase my water level in the spring so the water line is not at the same place all the time, then it will sit higher during the summer and not eat away at the same exact spot all the time (corrosion seems to tend to be heavier at the water line)

But bringing in fresh water without heating it up might increase corrosion due to the extra oxygen that comes in with that water, so that this point, if I were you I'd just leave it. The water that is in there has very little oxygen in it.

You can check the ph of the water with cheap PH test strips from Amazon/wherever. You'd like it to be at 10-11, also to minimize corrosion.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    kcoppAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,126
    Before you do anything; please buy "WE GOT STEAM HEAT" and "GREENING STEAM" from the Heating Help Book Store to learn more about your steam boiler and how to take care of it the right way.

If this was your first heating season with a steam boiler it would be better for you to have a steam licensed plumber service it and ask him or her if you could look over their shoulder to learn more about your boiler as it may need more work like cleaning the pigtail(s) and checking the automatic water fill valve and the low water cut off, replacing any air bad vents, cleaning the burners among other things insuring it is ready for the next heating season and can pass inspection.

• random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    edited May 2023
    My understanding is that depending on your water quality, you're supposed to fill the boiler up completely with the water level reaching partially into the steam risers, turn on the heat and let it steam briefly to boil off all the oxygen, and then turn it off. I think the idea is that rust develops around the waterline so better the pipes than the boiler. This is from my Megasteam manual for example:

• ARobertson13
    ARobertson13 Member Posts: 28
    I am an engineer just hit 65 years old and was in the electronics and defense industry. I have recently got involved in steam heating because of problems in my 29 unit 1911 building in Brooklyn NY. One of the problems that I have noticed is contractors doing improper water treatment. This was an issue in my Coop
    with our fire tube unit. I noticed that JohnRambo76 did not state what type of boiler he had. Cast iron [sectional] or Steel [firetube]. CI boilers do not require advanced water treatment. If you wish to determine
    how you should store your CI boiler during the off season, contact the tech support unit of the manufacturer. They will give you the proper storage instructions and cleaning chemicals by name and concentration. As for fire tube boilers, hire a local reputable boiler water treatment service [AWT member if possible]. They will test your water and adjust the PH and dissolved solvents with the proper chemicals. They will supply lab reports. I took college level chemistry and someone from the water treatment company had to explain boiler chemistry to me.