Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I need a water softener??

Options
2»

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

Magic elixirs. There is one thing which is very important to point out. Unless you are dealing with electrolytic corrosion (dissimilar metals in electrical contact with each other and in contact with a conductive liquid), or you are dealing with an open system, such as a domestic hot water heater or process (consumptive) steam use, the water in a boiler will reach an equilibrium concentration with the various materials used to make up the boiler. That equilibrium will depend on the initial water quality and the materials used in the boiler and piping. Some initial ions are very detrimental in terms of corrosion -- particularly chloride (not chloriNe, chloriDe), as the compounds which they can form with common cations, particularly Ferrous and Ferric ions, are highly soluble in water. Dissolved gasses, such as oxygen or carbon dioxide, are not a problem particularly as they will be eliminated on the initial heating (oxygen) or can be managed with simple buffers for pH (carbon dioxide).

Assuming you are dealing with a closed system and high purity initial water fill, minimal treatment (chiefly a pH buffer) should be all that is needed for heating type applications (power boilers are another story).

The ringers in the deck are "closed" and "high quality". If you are adding makeup water in any significant quatity, you can add conditioners until you break the bank, and you will still have corrosion problems. If your initial water quality is poor, you will have more corrosion than wanted, and, if the problem is "hardness" (calcium or magnesium cations) you may have scale.

Agree... Which is why the makeup water should also be treated via a resin filter..very simple.
    Caleffi has a color indicator on the resin filter that indicates when it is depleted.
    Oxygen ingest issues (Open systems) due to for exsample PB tubing can be addressed by vacuum deaerators.. Even on the residential sized systems..Coming soon to the US :*
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    Ridgewood water is horrid a deminerelizer filter is imperative and watch your boilers water usage important . A complete check of all main and radiator vents and radiator supply valves for any leakage . It would also make sense to flood your boiler and check the block for ant leakage . Buried wet return side are also some place where you can lose water. If flooding your boiler be sure to remove and flush pigtails , safety valve piping being it’s can get clogged from flooding and last but not least after flooding a boiler while leak check the boiler it would be wise to wand the boiler if provision have been set up but knowing the the area and the typical installation provision left by most installer in this area I would guess not . There’s a ton o of companies in your area and plumbers and most never do steam any justice they do half **** garbage work . I know cause they are a always cheaper then I and do a job that is garbage and I say excellent ya get what’s ya pay . Not every one can do steam properly and make it shine being it is the most forgiving of all heating system to a point but usually it limps by and works even though never close to as it should be and usually the reason Is a cheap price . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating