Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

50 gallon gas water heater recommendation

Options
zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
Does anyone know if there is a quality 50 gallon,gas water heater atmospheric vented,  water heater made that is no more the 18”wide? Height is not an issue.

We have a job where the water heater needs to be replaced, but in order to do so, the return air duct for the the furnace has to be disconnected and removed in order to get any water heater that is more then 18” wide, through that space.

thanks to all

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Doubt if you are going to find that. Is the old water heater 18" in diameter? is it larger than 30 gallon?

With all the new efficiency standards and regulations, does anyone make 18" of any size?

I predict you are going to be doing some ductwork in the near future.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    The 50's I've had from Bradford White were I think 22" going from memory. I know it's in that neighborhood because of my basement stair with.

I'm guessing tankless isn't an option due to piping or the meter?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    GGross
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Will be hard pressed to find a standard 50 gallon that is no more than 18" wide. Not even a standard 40 gallon.

Aosmith GCB-40 is 18"
    And that is with most of the insulation removed to accommodate the 18" diameter and provided externally for you to wrap around the tank after installation.

You can extend hot water availability by increasing the temperature and adding a mixing valve at the outlet.

EdTheHeaterManzepfan
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi @zepfan , Do you have any photos of the setup? Sometimes there can be work-arounds. Also, are there any places close by, where the piping and vent could reach? The heater will need to be replaced again someday, and easier access would be nice for that eventuality and any service in the meantime.

Yours, Larry
    GGross
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,856
    Options
    https://htproducts.com/literature/lp-670.pdf

Not gas, but HTP makes a 10 gallon electric that would work. Maybe a couple of them in parallel?
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    Options
    Bradford White 40 gallon RG140T6N is 18"

Rheem Performance Platinum Induced Draft 30 Gallon XG29T12XR60UO has a better first hour rating and recovery than a standard 50 gallon apparently and is 17.75" https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/A4C263BA-2A21-4535-9047-62181E3CB766.pdf
    Professional Classic Plus PRO+G29-60N RH70 ID is similar and same diameter https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/A60D9868-BEEF-4BDE-9301-EBC0243CA4A7.pdf
    zepfan
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Easy. Rheem heat pump water heater, seal off the flue and put it wherever you want.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    zepfan
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    htp phoenix but it is about 23" wide...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The mobile  home models tend to be smaller diameter
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

htp phoenix but it is about 23" wide...

That will work perfectly. with a 15 ft crowbar maybe

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,963
    Options
    Thats a Tall order..you're taking the duct out Bradford White is my choice for has HWHs.Mad Dog 
  • mattmia2
    Options
    If you plan right you can make taking the duct out a 5 minute job for the next person.

Steel tank with a powered anode and a good full port ball valve drain valve to flush it is probably your best bet for the longest life.
    Larry Weingarten
  • dullknife1
    dullknife1 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    I’ve seen it done. Any room to hang a 40 or 50 gal electric awh from the ceiling?  If so pipe a 30 or 40 gallon awh in series with it. No need for wiring the 50 gal, it’s a holding tank. A little taco circulator tied in for constant temperature and now you have 50 to 60 gallons of hot water before the cold starts to dilute the temperature. 
  • zepfan
    Options
    Thanks to all that responded. I am just going to remove and re install the duct. Replace it with a 50 gallon that matches what is currently there. The gas meter is no large enough for tankless, plus there are only two occupants of the home, with no whirlpool bath tub. I did have a question about the mixing valve that @dko mentioned. What do you normally set the dial to on the gas control when one of those are installed? c, d or very hot? I have only installed those on electric water heaters, and have a job where another contractor removed a 75 gallon gas heater, and installed a 50 gallon in it's place. The homeowner runs out of hot water on occasion. I was going to install the mixing in hopes that it will resolve the issue. Thanks to all
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    zepfan said:

Thanks to all that responded. I am just going to remove and re install the duct. Replace it with a 50 gallon that matches what is currently there. The gas meter is no large enough for tankless, plus there are only two occupants of the home, with no whirlpool bath tub. I did have a question about the mixing valve that @dko mentioned. What do you normally set the dial to on the gas control when one of those are installed? c, d or very hot? I have only installed those on electric water heaters, and have a job where another contractor removed a 75 gallon gas heater, and installed a 50 gallon in it's place. The homeowner runs out of hot water on occasion. I was going to install the mixing in hopes that it will resolve the issue. Thanks to all

If you're doing this professionally you would set it for roughly 120F at the faucet(s) after running for a while.

Be warned, a few Bradford White's I've installed ran about 130 on "normal". I run them at 140, but it's in my own home.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Two people shouldn't run out of hot water with a 50 gallon gas and no large tub. Wondering what they are doing? A 40 should be plenty.
    ethicalpaul
  • zepfan
    Options
    I was referring two two different jobs, the first 50 gallon was for a home with only two people with no large tub. The second job is one where a 75 gallon was taken out by another contractor, and a fifty gallon was installed in it's place. The second job is the one where they do have a large tub and run out of hot water on occasion. I was going to install a mixing valve on the second one. Thanks to all that responded
  • mattmia2
    Options

Two people shouldn't run out of hot water with a 50 gallon gas and no large tub. Wondering what they are doing? A 40 should be plenty.

My now very long hair runs out a 50.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    zepfan said:

I was referring two two different jobs, the first 50 gallon was for a home with only two people with no large tub. The second job is one where a 75 gallon was taken out by another contractor, and a fifty gallon was installed in it's place. The second job is the one where they do have a large tub and run out of hot water on occasion. I was going to install a mixing valve on the second one. Thanks to all that responded

the answer to the tank temp if you are trying to get more hot water and using a thermostatic valve is as hot as it will go if it is a consumer tank. You only get a bit more by storing the water hotter but the thermostatic valve needs a certain minimum differential, usually around 10 degrees, between the hot in and the mix out to regulate properly.
  • ChrisJ
    Options

I can run out with a 50 if I try.
    Yet, we had a family of 3 survive with a 20 gallon 120V electric for a few months. We made due with what we had.

Saying what should be plenty is kind of impossible. Everyone is different in that regard.