Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hole in boiler

Options
Ollie_Hopnoodle
Ollie_Hopnoodle Member Posts: 73
So, I think i found the hole in my boiler. Probably the main reason why I have to fill the boiler up after every heating cycle. This is looking down into the boiler, from above. Burnham v8, 2005. Looks like its right around the top above the water line, below one of the pins. Irreparable?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited May 2023
    Options

Put it here.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Ollie_HopnoodleHVACNUTChrisJ
  • Ollie_Hopnoodle
    Ollie_Hopnoodle Member Posts: 73
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA lol 30 yarder? seems a bit big. Maybe a 10 will do.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options
    I wouldn't bother trying to repair it. Many other nearly-holes might have just a thin layer of rust keeping them from being born. You got about 18 years out of this Burnham design which believe it or not isn't bad.

You don't want to be worried every week next winter wondering when it's going to let loose again.

Also be glad you made it through the season and can shop around a little for a good contractor. Make sure they size the new boiler to your existing radiation, make them show you the numbers of each of your radiators. You've been around here before, you know the drill probably :smile:

Try a Peerless or Weil-Mclain next time and make sure your water PH is 11 to greatly reduce corrosion.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options

@STEVEusaPA lol 30 yarder? seems a bit big. Maybe a 10 will do.

Unless you're all muscle or taking it apart, gonna need one with a door, or a truck with a lift.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    you can flood it to confirm but that certainly looks like a hole.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    That's extremely rare for a Burnham V8. They usually leak in less than 10 years. Consider yourself lucky.
    I've never seen the Burnham Mega Steam but read good things here about it. Worth looking into, along with a respected steam pro.
    ChrisJ