Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Trap or Bleeder

MDSchaake Member Posts: 1
I have some hot water radiators with the attached fittings. It appears to be a bleeder, but why would it be on the bottom of the radiator. I'm not sure it they may have originally been steam and converted to water, whereas they may be a trap. Does anybody know what this is?


  • tester22
    tester22 Member Posts: 24
    may be some thing look like check valve inside it.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 8,866
    It is just a globe valve with a screw slot instead of a knob.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,091
    mattmia2 said:

    It is just a globe valve with a screw slot instead of a knob.

    Yeah, "anti-fiddler technology"
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 782
    edited April 26
    I believe that is a quarter turn plug valve, used to balance flow so each radiator gets its share.

  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,459
    bburd said:

    I believe that is a quarter turn balancing valve.

    This. It's actually a "butterfly" valve rather than a globe valve.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service