Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

FYI Con Ed's Heat Pump DeCommission Checklist

Options

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    No comment.....Mad Dog
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

No comment.....Mad Dog

I'm sorry but this is considered a comment by virtue of the word COMMENTS just above your "No Comment"
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    That's my statement Ed...mad dog 
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    But it does not say Statements. it says Comments! >:)
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Mad Dog_2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Right. And when, on some chilly morning at oh dark hundred, the nice new heat pump can't get the house warm enough, who is on the hook? You, dear contractor. Remember that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterManSuperTech
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Ed-the-heater-Comment-Police-man...... It's my  "No comment"- Comment aka statement!   Kabeesh?   Ha ha ha Mad Dog
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited April 2023
    Options
    and after reading all the requirements on the checklist I cant help but see that you need to cap off the ductwork. What if you are going to replace the fossil fuel system with heat pump that needs ductwork? How are you supposed to get the heated air in those ducts?

What if you are planning to use the oversized radiators for a air to water or water to water heat pump to heat the home? How are you supposed to connect the heated water side of the heat pump to the radiators after you cap them off. I just don't get it, Maybe you should just cap off the entire building to the ground so you can get a few dollars in an incentive to decommission "fossil fuel using buildings" in order to go to more efficient electrical powered heat pumps.

But will there be enough left for the cars?
    Mad Dog_2D107
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Lets all thank @D107 for beginning this informative and pointed Discussion.. Or should I rephrase to insane and pointless Discussion

Either way, Thanks !
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    Right. And when, on some chilly morning at oh dark hundred, the nice new heat pump can't get the house warm enough, who is on the hook? You, dear contractor. Remember that.
    This is the worst problem with going all electric. My greatest fear as a service tech is getting a no heat call at night in the middle of winter for a home that is heated by inverter heat pumps. I carry no parts for these systems and all the circuit boards that fail are proprietary and always need to be ordered.  Sometimes it takes weeks to obtain these parts. 

Or the other common problem, poor installation, leaky flare fittings. Now I'm facing a repair that takes several hours. 

If someone calls me on a night or weekend and they have a cast iron oil or gas fired boiler? No problem. I'm confident that I fix the problem in no time with universal replacement parts that are stocked on my van.

I'm planning on installing an inverter heat pump at my house. But the only way my boiler is being removed is over my dead body!
    Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterManRobert O'Brien
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    SuperTech said:

I'm planning on installing an inverter heat pump at my house. But the only way my boiler is being removed is over my dead body!

. Be careful what you wish for...

If you live in Chicago or North Jersey, That can be arranged! We are still looking for Jimmy Hoffa

SuperTechMad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Jimmy Hoffa is in the End Zone of Giant Stadium.  Tony Pro put him there.  Mad Dog 
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,846
    Options
    What’s the incentive amount available if you remove the existing system? 
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Remove all gas or propane piping, have the homeowner arrange removal of meter riser or propane tanks. I guess no Gas Stoves, fireplaces, Firepits, Barbecues etc. I think my steak is going to cook to slowly on a heat pump barbecue.

My previous home, self constructed in 1980 had and still has a water source heat pump. Home had 2X6 exterior walls and r38 in the roof, it was comfortable but I feel my new home (built in 1953) with old style recessed hot water convectors and badly settled rock wool insulation is more comfortable.

The local utility is having trouble meeting peak demand with all the new electric vehicles, I can only imagine all heat pumps and resistance backup
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Utopian Dreams.. on the fast  track!  Mad Dog 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Jimmy Hoffa is in the End Zone of Giant Stadium.  Tony Pro put him there.  Mad Dog 

I thought it was the silverdome....
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,127
    Options

and after reading all the requirements on the checklist I cant help but see that you need to cap off the ductwork. What if you are going to replace the fossil fuel system with heat pump that needs ductwork? How are you supposed to get the heated air in those ducts?

What if you are planning to use the oversized radiators for a air to water or water to water heat pump to heat the home? How are you supposed to connect the heated water side of the heat pump to the radiators after you cap them off. I just don't get it, Maybe you should just cap off the entire building to the ground so you can get a few dollars in an incentive to decommission "fossil fuel using buildings" in order to go to more efficient electrical powered heat pumps.

But will there be enough left for the cars?

If only it was western coal from Wyoming or Montana, I would take 4 cars/500 tons off thier hands.

Mad Dog_2SuperTech