Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Case of the Squealing Boiler

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,491
In this case, the boiler squealed whenever it ran. It sounded like a loose belt on a blower. The problem was there was no rotating part on the boiler. I was stumped as to the cause and surprised when friend found it.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=aYJyN36yupM
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons
HVACNUT

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    I've heard of bats in the belfry, but in the chimney? How did they survive the heat? They certainly complained about it. 
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @HVACNUT LOL Not sure how they did Thanks
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 589
    Options
    I was working near the top of a rectangular downspout at a 3-story hotel. Had to screw on a cable clip for an antenna kinda thing. Not long after I started screwgun work, there was this gawd-awful squeal that seemed to go on forever. My partner then saw a bat fall out of the end of the downspout and the noise stopped.
    We figured he was hanging near the top lip and I startled him, where he then slid all the way down inside the pipe using his claws as brakes ?

Ray's story does remind me though.. I need to build some bat boxes to help with mosquito control..

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Dave, I could only imagine the look on your face. bat boxes? never heard of those
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi Ray, Bat boxes are a thing! I built a couple for my place and they do a great job controlling insects. Here's a link to a commercially available unit, but I just made mine: https://www.amazon.com/BIGBATBOX-Bat-House-Outdoors-Attractant/dp/B07DGLRH77/ref=asc_df_B07DGLRH77?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852084166630&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451663379852&th=1

In the evening, not long past sunset, a cloud of bats heads out for dinner. :p

Yours, Larry
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Ray, bat houses are available at most birdhouse stores.

I have been told that you do not want to attach them to your house, The bat guano/poop does not look good running down the side of your house.

We prefer Purple Martin houses for bug control, bats would not go over well with neighbors.

Bats have gotten a bad rap from movies and TV.....they have a good face for radio though.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @Larry Weingarten I thought you guys were joking I learned something new.
    @JUGHNE Wonder what strain of covid we would get with that guano
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    It could be the cure! ;)
    Larry WeingartenDave Carpentier
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 589
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

It could be the cure! ;)

Thats the bizzaro thing about nature.. so many solutions to so many problems, but they're not well organized.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @JUGHNE Didnt think about that
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons