Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

why "lime scale remover" for fireside cleaning?

Nom_Deplume
Nom_Deplume Member Posts: 91
The manual for our boiler (HTP Elite FT) suggests using a "lime scale remover" during fireside cleaning. I assume they mean something like CLR or Rydlyme.

My question is, why? Combustion produces water, but it isn't hard water! It also produces stranger things, namely coffee grounds; but CLR/Rydlyme don't dissolve coffee grounds, they have to be vacuumed out. So what's the purpose of lime scale remover?

Incidentally, the so-called "stainless" in our boiler has deep black stains that don't come off with scrubbing or CLR.

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    edited April 2023

The manual for our boiler (HTP Elite FT) suggests using a "lime scale remover" during fireside cleaning. I assume they mean something like CLR or Rydlyme.

My question is, why? Combustion produces water, but it isn't hard water! It also produces stranger things, namely coffee grounds; but CLR/Rydlyme don't dissolve coffee grounds, they have to be vacuumed out. So what's the purpose of lime scale remover?

Incidentally, the so-called "stainless" in our boiler has deep black stains that don't come off with scrubbing or CLR.

On SS HX we have used products such as Super Citrus, CLR all the way up to a oven cleaner to clean a HX..
    Condensing boilers produce condensate at lower temperatures(>138F) which is similar to "Water" but very low in PH (Aggressive)
    Under perfect conditions this condensate will actually clean your HX from any deposits therfore keeping deposits at a minimum and give the boiler a better heatexchange.
    This is why we strive to operate our systems as long as possible in the Condensing/lower temperature range >138 F.
    Not only will your AFC be lower but your boiler will get a Daily Condensate"shower"

Here is a German Company that makes Cleaners and Pressure washers for these situations.
    https://www.sotin.de/
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,210
    Aren't the fins in an HTP, at least in a UFT aluminum pressed in to the stainless tubes?
  • Nom_Deplume
    Nom_Deplume Member Posts: 91

On SS HX we have used products such as Super Citrus, CLR all the way up to a oven cleaner to clean a HX..

My question was, why?

Regarding the condensate being acidic, my understanding is that a properly tuned boiler does not produce much in the way of sulfuric and nitric acids, and so the water is acidic mainly because of the abundant CO2, which causes a pH of about 5. (Which is not that acidic.) But again, the question is, what does it matter whether the condensate is acidic? What is is helping to clean? There is no limescale on the fire side!
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    edited April 2023
    I believe they tell you to use a "limescale remover" because that is what the product is typically called, and would be most commonly available to use. Products referred to as "limescale remover" are capable of cleaning off things other than just limescale, it just so happens that is the most common application for use of the product.

So what is it helping to clean? You are correct in that you shouldn't really have "limescale" in your fireside, but there are sill the products of combustion that need to be cleaned periodically to restore the fire chamber to its proper condition and maintain good heat transfer