Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need 7" Bushing

Options
Hi can't find a 7"MPT to 4"FPT ROUND Bushing for a 7" pipe on an 1896 radiator system that they don't make anymore. Even a piece of 7" threaded pipe would save the day -anybody happen to have this or know who might? Thanks SO much!!

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,265
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_Pipe_Size#NPS_4_to_NPS_9
    Wow, apparently a Nominal Pipe Size of both 7 and 9, are standards. I have no idea where you would find something like this. Just to be clear, NPS 7 has an outside diameter of 7.625 inches. Must be a large system.
    I DIY.
  • WMno57
    Options
    Probably faster and cheaper to pay a mobile weldor to come out anD replace part of the piping.
    I DIY.
    Intplm.Zman
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 855
    Options
    I do not recall ever working with 7" steel pipe. That being said, you may be able to weld a more standard 6" or 8" steel pipe to adapt to the old piping. We have done this a few times with 3-1/2" steel pipe.
    STEVEusaPAIntplm.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 904
    Options
    I don't where you are located or how soon you need that fitting but I would call a company like B M Kramer in Pittsburgh, Pa and ask them. Their phone # is 412-481-3000 or 800-822-1333. If anyone would have it or know where you could get one it would be them. I haven't seen 7" pipe in about 45 years.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Weld a custom made flange on the 7" pipe then weld a matching flange to the pipe size you want to transition to. You can use smaller wrenches on the flange bolts.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    mattmia2JUGHNEPC7060
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Try a machine shop, especially one that does oil field work. A really good machinist shouldn't have any problem making the threaded flanges or bushings you need.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    Quentzel in Bed Stuy Brooklyn. If anyone has it ....They got it  718.455.6602  ask for Andrew   mad dog
    JohnNY
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Cheapest way out is to weld a piece of plate to the 7" pipe. Cut a hole in it to match the 4". If it's low pressure this will fly. Don't think you can buy 7" pipe anymore and I know no one makes 7" fittings anymore.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    I remember coming across 3 1/2"    mad dog
  • lager
    lager Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Dan's Article in PM Engineer this month about Nominal Pipe sizes, he admitted seeing 7" pipe once
  • lager
    lager Member Posts: 56
    Options
    joyjoyjoy

Good Luck finding the 7" x 4" reducers, I think the machine shop is the best idea, for what it's worth
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Quentzel in Bed Stuy Brooklyn. If anyone has it ....They got it  718.455.6602  ask for Andrew   mad dog

This is where I get my 3-½" pipe and fittings.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Mad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    lager said:

joyjoyjoy

Good Luck finding the 7" x 4" reducers, I think the machine shop is the best idea, for what it's worth

welders tend to be cheaper than a piece of steel big enough to turn a 7" fitting out of
    PC7060
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I think that ED had the simplest/cleanest idea.

Just weld a flange on the end of the pipe. Something that would have clearances for the bolts.

The inside diameter of the flange only has to be at least 4"....not full size.

Than a matching flange that would take your 4" pipe.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    I only saw 7" once. Don't think you can buy any fitting or pipe in 7". 3 1/2 I only saw once on an old boiler. Last I knew you could buy 3 1/2 " pipe but not fittings, unless someone has old stuff hanging around.

The geared threaders like the Ridgid 141 or Toledo 41E could cut 3 1/2" threads.
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    If its steam, be sure not to trap any condensate. If you do, run a condensate line to a return somewhere so as not to disrupt normal condensate flow, or where you could bang your head or trip someone, or introduce it to live steam. If you do, it will let you know what went wrong.
    Best to consult someone well versed in the industry.
  • WMno57
    Options
    www.detroitnippleworks.com
    They will thread 7 inch pipe. Don't know if they have 7 inch pipe in stock. If not they may be able to get it. They also do custom fabrication, so they could make a bushing. As it says on their website, give them a call.
    I DIY.