Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustion analyzers

Options
WaHeat
WaHeat Member Posts: 5
We use the Bacharach combustion analyzers. they seem to need maintenance far too often. is there in house maintenance that you guys know of too keep them analyzing, or maybe a different brand that doesnt require as much upkeep as a Jaguar?

Also, Bacharach's tempoint thermometers are discontinued. Is there another that is up to par?

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    As soon as i see elevated levels i pull the probe out ! I personally like our Testo...Very easy to change the sensor without having to send it in for service.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    I have an UEI and to get it calibrated, I have to sell my first-born to pay for it.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Really?  Exaggerating a little?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,965
    Options
    I like my Bacharach but I agree its expensive and often to service .  I know   service it yourself...I'd rather fix a boiler.  Do you'll think Testo is less maintenance AND less expensive?  I'm all ears...Mad Dog
  • Derheatmeister
    Options
    I have two 320 which have been discontinued...Great Tool. Not sure,but sometimes you can still find someone may they still have one: https://www.omnicontrols.com/
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    We have a few Testo 330 analyzers. I've never been all that pleased with the sensors or the cost to replace them. Back around the turn of the century (2000) we had three Bacharach analyzers, they were even more finicky.

I feel the current models are overpriced, not any more reliable and very expensive to keep updated. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is anything better out there. I guess when the united States switches to all electric in a few yeas we'll just throw away our combustion testing equipment???
    Mad Dog_2SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options

As soon as i see elevated levels i pull the probe out ! I personally like our Testo...Very easy to change the sensor without having to send it in for service.

Never pull out...but if you do...don't shut it off until it completely purges.

MaxMercySuperTechDerheatmeister
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    I change my bacharach sensors myself. Send it in only if there is a problem. But it's been 2 years so I'll probably send it in too TTT.

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I've been real happy with my Testo 300 that I bought last year for eight bills from Amazon. It was listed as used, but came in the original packaging without any signs of wear. I think it was purchased and then returned without even being turned on.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    I have a Testo 320 and still love it. I have had UEI, and Wohler, was not impressed with either of those
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    Derheatmeister
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 794
    Options
    I have been throwing analyzers at my students for 30 years. I don't see them breaking. O2 sensors are the only part that needs changing on a regular basis ( 2 years) but other than
    they shouldn't be that expensive to maintain. CO sensors last for 8-10 years. I have never been able to ruin one and I have seen CO near 100,000 ppm.
    How often do home alarms that last for 5-10 years get calibrated? I know we want to be safe, but if you are spending money every year for calibration you are wasting money. I have never seen anyone's analyzer off more than 30% and that one just came back from calibration.
    If you have two analyzers you can compare their readings. Won't be the same but close. You can also just touch the probe with a flame for a second and if the CO goes near 200 ppm all is good.
    Water or moisture is the main problem with analyzers. This does hurt the sensors. However, many times when techs brought me their analyzers and they were wet, I let them sit overnight to dry out and the next day they were fine.
    One last thing is the diaphragm pumps that tend to get stuck because of moisture. I have opened up many pumps over the years, loosened the diaphragm and they were fine.
    As far as new analyzers, the Sauermann analyzers have some great features including Bluetooth for reading remotely on your I=phone or I-pad.
    If you have any more questions, post them here.
    GGrossDerheatmeister
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @captainco

when your sensor saw 100k ppm CO did you have any issues with it after? I have an E-instruments model with the built in printer (precursor to the current sauerman models i think). One time I maxed out the digital readout for CO so it was well over 10k ppm, it gave me a sensor error for about 3 days. I always just assumed it was the high CO but maybe it was unrelated. CO sensor was just fine, and the next time I had sent it in to replace the O2 sensor the calibration report showed the CO sensor was still fully calibrated.
  • captainco
    Options
    If you max out your CO sensor you have to keep the pump running until it comes back in range. If you turn off the analyzer and restart it, it could take 2-3 days to recover. The very first Bacharach stopped the pump when the CO was high back in 1985. I figured out a way to short cycle the pump and after 20 minutes got it running again.
    I have never had to replace a CO sensor in any analyzer I have used.
    GGross
  • Derheatmeister
    Options

Yes...Allways let it Purge..Why would i not pull it out vs. subjecting it to elevated levels ?
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options

Yes...Allways let it Purge..Why would i not pull it out vs. subjecting it to elevated levels ?
    That was for anyone who stumbles onto the thread and thinks they should pull it out and shut it off.

• captainco
    Options
    Many times when the CO spikes the O2 reading and flue temperature haven't reached a point where the problem can be diagnosed. If you do pull the probe out what would be the next step without this information?
  • GermanPlumber
    GermanPlumber Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Hello from Germany ,

I have a Testo 300 in use . I compared it yesterday with a Fieldpiece CAT 85 and have to say that I like the Fieldpiece better . 
    Testo uses a quarter turn connector plug for the probe hose . The hose is kind of stiff . It happens that the connection is not tight enough and the measurement incorrect. 
    I also can not get a server connection to send out Service Reports.  Tried everything.  
    Third issue after two years the magnets got so weak I can not attach the unit to a metal surface without sliding down. Not really impressed. 
    So I will go with the Fieldpiece for sure . 
    MRU and Dräger are also good but I am not sure if they are sold in the US .

Take care ,
    Mario 
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesMaxMercy