Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wall heater doesn’t kick on

Options
bzzty
bzzty Member Posts: 6
So I was looking at old post here to fix my problem. My gas wall unit will not kick on. It works if I jumper the connection either at the unit or at the thermostat. Once it kicks on it seems to work properly for awhile then won’t kick on once the unit is completely cooled.  I already changed the thermostat the wire and the thermopile as they cost me 35$ total. Still having the same issue. What is even left other than the valve which seem to be ok (it ignites when I jumper it at the unit cold or warm) 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,915
    edited April 2023
    Options
    have you looked at this post? Is this the same type of heater and or gas valve?

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/189695/thermostat-not-turning-on-gas-wall-heater

Here is a wiring diagram from a popular wall heater .
    This illustrates that there is a thermostat and an internal limit switch. In this case it is called a blocked vent switch. It is possible that the internal limit or blocked vent switch is open? (open means turned off)

This switch may have a manual reset button on it. If the manual reset button tripped, you may have a blocked vent. Check that out to make sure the exhaust vent is not blocked.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Larry WeingartenMad Dog_2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,318
    Options
    Hi, Two things come to mind. First is the possibility of an intermittent failure caused by a bad electrical connection. Next is a faulty high limit. I think I’d start by checking all connections.

Yours, Larry
    EdTheHeaterManMad Dog_2
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Replace the blocked vent thermodisc if you wiggle the wires and it turns on. It is up near the draft hood. I had the same problem with a wall heater, once. It was the tabs on the thermodisc that were loose and made an intermittent connection.
    The vent on the roof isn't covered with snow or blocked in any other way.

What make and model wall heater.
    Mad Dog_2
  • bzzty
    Options
    It’s an Empire DV2157gs. Vents directly out the back wall I don’t believe there is a blocked vent thermostat disc as thermostat wire go directly to the gas valve. Not to a switch as pictured. Also works fine once it’s warmed up if I shut it down or it cools off completely theta when I have to jump the wires to restart it. Then again works until it cools. I will check for the vent sensor when I get back over there. 
  • bzzty
    Options
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    time for the millivolt meter
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    This is the proper manual. https://empireheaterparts.com/pdf/empire/manuals/DV-210-215-Manual.pdf
    I would look more closely at the pilot burner assembly, especially at the burner orifice. I would take it out and use a small needle and make sure the opening is completely clear. Do not damage the hole in the orifice. The pilot flame should be blue. If it is orange, there's your problem.
    Larry Weingartenbzzty
  • bzzty
    Options
    Ok I thought the pilot maybe to week to heat the thermopile but it’s blue and seems strong but I will try to clean it as suggested. It make sense that it be that because once it’s warm it work fine but the flame seems strong from pilot. I will check it out. 
  • bzzty
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Problem solved Thanks guys or gals. Ok took the pilot assembly out and cleaned it up. The orifice on the assembly was definitely blocked slightly.  assume a fleck of rust as stuff was rusted up. 
    I cleaned it up and used a tiny needle as advised. Seems the flame is perfect now. It was always blue but was definitely smaller. 
    Sorry if bad spelling I can’t find my glasses now. Lol any advice on that. 
  • HomerJSmith
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Well, I was right about something, finally. Be sure and tell my wife.
    ethicalpaulEdTheHeaterMan
  • bzzty
    Options
    Lol first timer