Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Searching for a New Oil Heating System

Options
Dclaudio
Dclaudio Member Posts: 1
I am looking to install a new boiler system replacing the current 30 year+ oil burner sytem. My current oil provider provided me with the following recommendations:

- EK-1 Frontier Oil burner
- EK-1 Ascent Oil burner
- Peerless WBV-3 Boiler

I would like to get feedback fro anyone as to hese oil heating burnes as which one would you recommend.

Thanks,

Dom

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,871
    Options
    How was the size determined, like for like? Not a good way to choose. 
    How long did the old boiler run in extreme weather, continues or cycling on and off. 
    Post your oil usage and zip code for the last few years. 
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    #1, or #2, depending on domestic hot water requirements.
    Never #3

There was an error rendering this rich post.

HVACNUTEdTheHeaterManSuperTech
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Exactly what @STEVEusaPA said 
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,871
    Options
    EzzyT said:
    Exactly what @STEVEusaPA said 
    Installed buy you. No doubt about it. Installed by most others out there…………No Comment!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Bugatti, Maybach, or Yugo.
    Just kidding. I've installed tons of WBV's with Riello's and always had a soft spot in my heart for them because it finally replaced the deplorable JOT. And since Peerless added the Hydrostat 3250 Plus (the Ascent uses an EK tweaked version) as it's operating control, it's not a bad boiler at all.  It's just that it's design doesn't lend well to "overall" system efficiency. Same with all pin type HX boilers. Not sure if an Energy Star rating even means anything anymore, but it can only be achieved using the Riello F3 with the WBV-3.
    Was an indirect offered with the WBV or a tankless coil? If tankless coil, take it off the list.

The design and operation of the EK boilers put it in a category above any "typical" oil fired boiler. If there's extra out of pocket expense with EK over the Peerless, the ROI will not take long. You'll think there's something wrong with the tank gauge because it's not dropping.
    STEVEusaPASuperTech
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,033
    Options
    Make Sure to Look at the Burnham Boiler and Buderus G-115 & 215 with Riello...Dont get no better..Mad Dog 
  • Allislandradiant
    Allislandradiant Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Viessmann Vitoround 100 is my go to oil fired boiler with a Riello burner. My favorite feature is the stainless steel combustion chamber. One the cleanest firing boiler I have seen. Also, the boiler can come with a stand that you put under the boiler so your are not hands and knees when working on the burner.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Creme dela creme....My knees would like that...Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Per Uncle Richard who can wire and troubleshoot Tekmars but like me struggles w Technology sometimes  posting a photo!!  Ha ha..Looks like you could eat off that combustion chamber its so pristine!  Mad Dog
    Allislandradiant
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Richard...how does it Stack up to the Buderus G-115 & G 215 Series which are FINE boilers..mad dog 
  • Allislandradiant
    Allislandradiant Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks for posting those pic's for MD. It's similar to the Buderus series, but the stainless combustion chamber gets cherry red and burns any oil residue or after drips. With Buderus I am always thinking the flame hitting the back of the boiler and taring up. The stand is always a nice feature when you are working on the burner and cleaning. These are just my opinions and what I like to work with.
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Thank you for your question, Dom, and for everyones' comments.
    Energy Kinetics has been making super efficient and reliable boilers for 44 years now, and we'd be honored to have you as a growing part of the Energy Kinetics family. Our most appreciated benefits are low fuel consumption, whisper quiet operation, and nearly endless hot water (more with the Frontier and tank than the Ascent Combi). Please call us at (908) 735-2066 or post here if we can answer any questions. If you PM me with your location, we can put you in touch with your territory manager who can also answer questions, although it sounds like you are in good hands with your oil provider as they must be an Energy Kinetics trained dealer.
    Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Go with the EK! You won't be disappointed!!!
    I've worked on plenty of them, though not a dealer, they're my favorite.
    RogerEdTheHeaterMan