Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installing heat pump system: Risky for my oil heating pipes to go under-utilized?

Options
I'm installing central air in my house and the cost to upgrade to a heat pump system is only marginal and attractive from a heating cost standpoint.

What is the level of risk to the heating pipes feeding my oil-fired baseboard if I stopped using them as a primary means of heat? Is this even advisable? The HVAC contractors we're getting quotes from say it's fine, but I have some doubt.

Comments

• Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,846
    Options
    Those pipes are filled with water, hopefully with minimal oxygen. They’ll be fine, it’s just an extended summer for them. If you want, you can fire it up every few weeks. 
    bburd
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 915
    Options
    Depending on your climate, you will likely want to use the oil fired system in very cold weather. That will keep it exercised.

Bburd
    SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Make sure you treat your heating oil tank with the proper additives, and try to get non-bio only if possible. The newer fuels just don't sit well like the ole high sulfur heating oil. There's a whole business of fuel polishing by generator companies who's customers have generators that don't run for years (except exercising) that have hundreds of gallons of fuel just sitting there.
    steve
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Some jurisdictions require the oil/gas system be removed before you get the rebates.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Hopefully it's wired with a 2 stage thermostat and changeover is automatic on differential or outdoor temperature. 
    bburdRobert_25