Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ASHRAE Handbook HVAC Systems and Equipment Chapter 11 - Steam Systems

Options
Tim_D
Tim_D Member Posts: 128

I sat on Technical Committee 6.1 for many years (Vice Chairman 2005-2006 and Snow and Ice Melting Sub-committe Chairman 2002-2006) and am still a corresponding member. 6.1 is responsible for all things hydronic and steam . All ASHRAE information is developed by an extensive process of research, consensus, peer review, and public input. If they print it you can be assured that it is rock solid information. Anyone interested in Steam Systems may want to get a copy of Chapter 11.

Mad Dog_2

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,265
    Options

Read & re-read & again re-read ASHRAE Handbook chapters in the seventies. Learned much more from Dan's books and articles and from this website. Myron's book taught me that I'm not the only one in this business to overlook stuff.

That said I do appreciate ASHRAE volunteers who worked to make knowledge available. ASHRAE also sold pamphlets that really got into nitty gritty. I sometimes see that information in those is unknown these days.

Mad Dog_2Long Beach Ed
  • Tim_D
    Options

The target audience for ASHRAE material is mostly engineers. Great information but it can be a little academic and sometimes overwhelming for us mere mortals. I agree with you on Dan's books. He has a great ability to distill things down to something we can all digest.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,977
    Options

Where can I get that Tim? Mad Dog

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The ASHVE books (ASHRAE's papa) were so valuable. They wrote about steam heating as it was still developing. My collection (now Erin's) began in the early-'20s and developed from there. I learned so much from them.

Retired and loving it.
  • Tim_D
    Options

ASHRAE materials are available in the ASHRAE book store. You may want to look at a used book source to get a better deal. ASHRAE Handbooks are on a four year cycle and members get a new one each year with their membership renewal so there are usually relatively current copies available.

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,265
    Options

Wish I kept my old ASHRAE handbooks. New ones are for and by "plan & spec" guys. All about sizing packages. So only people who need to worry about details are nerds in manufacturers' back rooms.

May sound sad but custom designed built up systems present difficulties down the road when nobody is left who understands how they are intended to operate.

DanHolohan