Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What do the Water feeder dip switches mean on boiler? Will it cause over filling if on wrong setting

Dairon421
Dairon421 Member Posts: 80

Hey guys. We installed a commercial boiler that have a number 67 lwco (float style). The boiler works and we changed the returns so it couldn't be clogged up but boiler overfills every 5 days. I look in the water feeder manual and saw that we had the dip switch 4 on but today I changed it to 1 since I have a float style lwco. Could this be the reason why the boiler is overflowing? Also what do dwell time mean?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,969

Indeed incorrect choice of those dip switches can — and most likely will — result in overfeeding. If your feeder has an independent choice of dwell and feed amount, you want a longer dwell — and a smaller feed amount. A zero dwell may be problematic if the boiler water level isn't perfectly steady. You may need to experiment some.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,209

Did you skim the boiler? Did you over do it on additives? If the boiler is surging or primng it will throw water out of the boiler and the it will feed on that low water level then it will be overfilled when they cycle ends.(could be a lot of other mor complex issues too.) If the water level isn't pretty steady or it drops early in the cycle then it is more than just the dip switch settings.

pvs2487
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122

The dwell question? I've never been able to get a good answer as to how to set the dwell unit, or the. proper dwell setting.

@Dairon421 Thanks for bringing this up. Im hoping we see some sort of concrete answer for this.

The best I've ever heard was to set it and see if it works from there language. (The best guess?)

Dairon421