Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator v. Air Quality

WebbPerry
WebbPerry Member Posts: 2
edited March 2023 in Strictly Steam

I live in a 5 floor (pre-war) apartment building in NYC. I'm on the 4th floor, the only apartment in my line that has not been renovated within the last 25 years, so the cast iron steam radiators in my bedroom and  living room are 30+ years old.

My query: Is it possible after so many years that the radiators could be off-gassing accumulated heating oil droplets or some sort of internal corrosion? For quite some time now, I've been periodically smelling a kerosene-like odor in areas near the radiators. At other moments the smell is more "rusty"(?).  This is a daily occurence and seems apparent whether the radiator valves are in fully open or closed positions. Further, it seems this may be triggering asthmatic symptoms. My neighbors are apparently not having the same experience.

Could the radiators be the culprit, I wonder. Perhaps they need to be flushed? replaced? My super is seemingly not knowledgeable enough to help in deciphering this. So I'm seeking information that may prove helpful in further discussions with my building management.

p.s. -should i have posted on the Main Wall

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276

@WebbPerry, I've moved your post to Strictly Steam. Welcome to Heating Help!

President
    HeatingHelp.com
    WebbPerry
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170

Anything that those radiators themselves might have off gassed is gone at least a couple of decades ago. Itis, however, remotely possible that someone might have gotten something in the boiler water which might make a slight odour. It's also possible that it is coming through the floor from somewhere else in the building.

Steam radiators don't need flushing — and, barring leaks, they never wear out. It also looks as the the vents are at least newish, and so is the valve — which is good.

One other possibility — has anyone painted on or near the radiators recently?

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    WebbPerryHap_Hazzard
  • WebbPerry
    WebbPerry Member Posts: 2

Thanks for your reply, Jamie. No, there hasn't been any recent painting nearby; theses radiators were last painted well over 10 years ago.

I appreciate all of your thoughts!

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846

I would have guessed it was the paint too. We discourage the use of metallic finishes on radiators as they reduce the output, and most spray enamel shouldn't be used on anything that gets hotter than 200°F. I'm not sure how long they keep giving off VOC, but I'd expect the paint to flake off as the base decomposes.

Does the smell seem to be stronger at the vent or is it pretty ubiquitous?

Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24