Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Forced hot water heat register part

shawzall
shawzall Member Posts: 3

hi, this is my first post and I hope I'm putting it in the right place. My son lives in NJ and he found a corroded area on his heat register. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the name of the part is that I will be trying to fix when I visit him. I can fix some things but plumbing is certainly not my specialty. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

You can know somethings about somethings but not everything about everything

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,434

It's an automatic air vent.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    mattmia2
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,912
    edited March 2023

It is one piece 3/4" disc type auto vent . Looks like it has been leaking for years , I assume because no one wanted to replace it . Removing the vent may damage the convector . Replacing the convector may be a safer bet ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• shawzall

Okay, thanks for the info guys. That'll give me a good start in finding what I need

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,452
    edited March 2023

That air vent should come out of that convector with a little bit of armstrong power and 2 wrenches.  There is a substantial flat on the convector for a large flat adjustable wrench to use as a "hold back" while the 14" pipe wrench eases out the vent.   

My experience is that the metal of the vent and the metal of the convector do not rust together since they are dissimilar metals. They will be tight but not impossible to remove.  

Youy must drain water from the system below the hight of that convector first. Then remove the vent. You may need to add some additional pipes to the handle end of the wrenches for leverage/mechanical advantage. then replace the vent with something like this with a bushing to fit the convector threads https://www.supplyhouse.com/Caleffi-502043A-MINICAL-Automatic-Air-Vent-w-Hygroscopic-Safety-Air-Vent-Cap-1-2-NPT

Once that is replaced with proper pipe thread sealant, you will need to fill the system with water again, to about 12 PSI on the boiler gauge.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

hot_rod
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,274

There also may be isolation valves at the convector, especially if this is commercial. i can't see any in your pictures but you don't have all of it in your picture.

• shawzall

This unit is in my son's house in New Jersey (built early 1900s). Ed, thanks for all your guidance on this. Because I'm a dad my son looks to me to know how to fix everything and I hate to just shrug and say "Hire somebody." That unit is on the 2nd (top) floor so draining below it won't be a problem. After doing some research am I correct in my assumption that the rusted lump next to the air vent is the wall bracket that holds the unit up? Should I plan to replace that?

And thanks to all of you guys for your help and input. It's great to have a place to go for some solid advice from people who care enough to give it and aren't selling something.

Steve

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,274

If the bracket is no longer supporing the convector you may need to fabricate something. it looks like the bracket is part of the convector cabinet and was spot welded at the factory.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,016
    edited March 2023

You will need to drop the boiler pressure to 0 psi.

I would check to make sure the bleeders are working on the other rads because you might need to bleed them when the work is done.

And tighten the vent cap when done bleeding