Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Williamson vs Weil Mclain

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967

Was talking with local plumbing supplier today. He said there are rumors that Weil Mclain puts their boilers through an X-ray machine. The ones that test fine, are sold as Weil Mclains. If they detect defects, it's repacked and sold as Williamson. Any truth to these rumors? Would be sad if true. Means that WM have many many boilers with manufacturing defects. Lots of Williamsons out there

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options

If you were in the business of manufacturing pressure vessels and you found a defect in that vessel it seems that the least costly option would be to throw it back in the furnace and try again rather than accept the liability that something may go awry.

ethicalpaulGGrossWaher
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options

That's ridiculous. Rheem/Ruud, Carrier/Bryant. There's gotta 20 boilers brands that are really Dunkirk.

But what is true, is that a GMC truck passes the X-ray, it's a GMC. If it doesn't, it's a Chevy.

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options

It doesn't pass the smell test, that's for sure

NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    mattmia2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options

I've put in a good many Williamson without any problems...love the color too. Probably a rumor. Mad Dog

STEAM DOCTOR
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Options

Absolutley no truth to this.

Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options

That makes no sense

mattmia2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    edited March 2023
    Options

I Still remember seeing my first Williamson. I was hanging with the Great Gas & controls man Timmie Mac, in his hometown supply house in Rhode Island 🏝. They worshipped the ground he walked on and he walking everywhere freely, like his own home. We pass a display...I say, "Wow! Thats a cool color green (my favorite) what kind of boiler is that? A Williamson??. I said it looks like a Green Weil Mc Claire! -'Right on both counts," Timmiie said. This was probably 2001-2002before they hit NY Mad