Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam heat hammer

Options
Cgl73
Cgl73 Member Posts: 2
Looking for some help on a hammer issue happening at the end of the cycle ONLY, about 5-10 seconds after boiler shuts down. It seems like it’s coming from right around the Hartford loop area. A close nipple for the Hartford loop was not used on the installation of this boiler. Instead there is about a 8-10 inch nipple. I believe this is the issue but wanted to get more opinion before pulling apart and redoing. Would like to repair with confidence that nothing else is the issue. Ty for any and all help  
Mad Dog_2

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    No guarantees with a hammer -- but it could well be that Hartford loop -- or it could also be that horizontal in the equalizer line. Or both. Depends a lot on exactly where the operating water level is.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Cgl73
    Cgl73 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The water level is def within 2 inches of water line. BUT, waterline could be dropping below that near end of cycle. Does that help at all for further opinion?  Thank you 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    I don't LIKE the Bushes down equalizer nor the extra long Hartford loop.  Change both  mad Dog
    mattmia2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    That almost looks like 3/4" in to Bushing then to 1"  and then to either 1.25" or 1.5 "
    Also you  should make those low copper elbows, tees w boiler drains fir flushing   mX
    Grallert
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Those bushings in the black iron will trap water in that ell. either use a reducing ell or reduce it in the vertical.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    If your installer did not get some thing as simply as piping the equilizer and hartford correctly then I would assume the rest of the piping is crap also . I hope they will return for a second attempt to get it right but I would not put to much faith in that . Usually one who can not get it right the first time is clueless . Any one who knows what they are doing would never make a simple mistake as that clearly a novice at steam boiler installation . Personally I would second guess anything they did if they could not get that right . I mean it’s in the manual so it not just made up crap .
    I lose faith very easy when I see things that are so basic that it makes sure you wonder ,what the heck peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    As said, there are at least 2 things wrong in that picture. If you desire a full evaluation post a picture or two from further back so we can see all the piping.

What size is that boiler? The piping varies depending on boiler size. Looks like one of the bigger ones in that series, but do need to verify.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15