Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Close clearance brass bathtub trap

Options
JJTraxx
JJTraxx Member Posts: 33
My bathtub decided to leak down into my kitchen. Thankfully it's the drain side and not the supply. I have a drain replacement kit all set to go. The trap, on the other hand, is not. Apparently it's a close clearance trap. From the picture you can see that it's threaded on both ends. It appears to be 1 1/2 inlet side and maybe 2 on the outlet. Maybe an LA trap. Can't find it anywhere. Both legs of the "u" shape seem to terminate at roughly the same height. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What's the proper name for this trap and where can I find it? I've looked at supply house and been all over Google. No luck so far. 

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,880
    Options
    You should be able to replace the seals and keep the trap.

I believe they make that trap in PVC. Supply house dot com
    Larry Weingarten
  • JJTraxx
    Options
    I wanted to replace it with brass for longevity. I've tried looking for "close clearance trap" on supply house with no luck
    mattmia2
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,880
    Options
    PVC lasts longer then that paper thin brass!
    Mad Dog_2mattmia2
  • JJTraxx
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Thanks. I was planning on using the heavy cast brass trap. Do the Pvc threads fit the brass threads? 
  • Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 191
    Options
    The connection on the tub side(trip-waste) will be standard 1 1/2" tubular. The connection on the piping side (trap weir) will be specific to the trap manufacturer.

Either you have to make the existing trap work, find the same exact trap that you have (difficult), or replace the whole thing with PVC. I would recommend replace the whole thing. You will need to relocate the vent attached to the TY (san tee).
  • JJTraxx
    Options
    It turns out that the trap I have is perfectly fine. Just cleaned it up with a wire wheel. Good to go. Just waiting on the drain extraction tool. I appreciate the help guys. 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,088
    Options
    Thats a Heavy duty Cast Brass DWV L.A. Trap. NOT thin Gauge tubular.   That will not rot out in 100 years!  The neoprene or Teflon washers will go after 25 yrs but not the trap.  PVC is ok but has nowhere near the life of a heavy cast trap like that.  PVC is nice to work with and you very good skills to make it look nice, but it is not the panacea "they" (The Plastics Lobby and GCs that  like to do plumbers work) always touted.  The folks that love PVC do because it is a much cheaper product and keeps initial  costs down. That being said a real good,  commerial roughing plumber can put in No-Hub just as fast, you need less support per foot, and it can be tweaked just so.  Once PVC cures...you're done.  Try that with 6" PVC Pool piping...It has its place, I have installed miles of PVC, but in my own house, there is not one single piece...not even on the AC pan drains...1" Copper. DWV copper and cast brass drainage waste and vent witj soft solder is a great system too.  The Levittown Homes are all done with it and are going on close to 75 yrs...Thats a great shelf life.  I've seen the first Generation PVC that went in during the Late 70s....brittle, sagging badly developing splits in them after 30-35 years.  Mad 🐕 Dog