Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator PINGING is Driving me Crazy! Please help so I can sleep!

Options
2»

Comments

• jhartmich
    jhartmich Member Posts: 18
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Do you have access to the boiler room? If so post pictures of the boiler controls and pressure gauge.

Also a good look at the sight glass. Then from far back pictures to show all the boiler piping, floor to ceiling.

No. It's locked. I don't think there is anything I can do on my part. Sad!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    jhartmich said:
    Do you have access to the boiler room? If so post pictures of the boiler controls and pressure gauge. Also a good look at the sight glass. Then from far back pictures to show all the boiler piping, floor to ceiling.
    No. It's locked. I don't think there is anything I can do on my part. Sad!
    If you had their permission to drill a radiator I find it hard to believe they won't let you see the boiler
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    JUGHNE
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Since you said the noise is throughout the building, I agree with what others said above that it's probably not this one radiator. It's some piping somewhere in the building that has sagged and is collecting water. The only real fix is to correct that pitch problem with the pipe so the water doesn't collect there.

The second possibility is you can ask the landlord to set up a timer so that the boiler doesn't come on in the middle of the night (like between 1am and 6am) so that you all can at least get some uninterrupted sleep.

Or at least enable it if the temperature is above a certain point so it only does it when it's really cold out. Good luck. Good foam earplugs reduce around 30dB but I think you said you tried those already.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el