Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Under Floor Staple Up - Manifold Location

Options
ecurbjk
ecurbjk Member Posts: 6
edited February 2023 in Radiant Heating
Hi All,

I have a question for under floor staple up heating and the manifold location.

Can I install the manifold below the pex pipe near the zone valves and the boiler? I was told by a plumber that the manifold should be higher then the pex pipe in the floor to get all the air out. He said that when you have mixing valves there is potential to get air in the system and having the manifold lower can cause problems.

I'm not a plumber nor do I have much experience with this and I'm trying to do some of this work myself to keep the cost down.

I've attached a small video to this post to show how I'm running my pex in the basement and underneath the floor above. I was hoping to install the manifold, zone valves, boiler, etc, in the basement where the pex pipe ends at the home run location.

Any advice is appreciated!

Bruce

Comments

• ecurbjk
    Options
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    shouldn't be an issue.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Where does he want it, mounted on the Dining Room wall???
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • ecurbjk
    Options
    The question is, can the manifold be located below the pex above it? Are there other recommendations or best practices for the location of the manifold? Are there potential issues with air when a mixing valve is installed and the manifold is lower than the pex? I thought an air eliminator would be all that’s required, but I’m not an expert and just learning as I go.
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options
    holy waste of pipe! id put the manifold in the ceiling where the first line actually goes up to the underfloor. ive never had an issue with putting a manifold above or below the zone and ive never heard of a mixing valve causing an air issue
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 834
    Options
    That red pex mfg. company is happy! That's the longest pex radiator I've ever seen.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Yeah wow I just looked at the video. That foil isn't going to do anything. It seems like they are going to lose so much heat to that cold exterior wall they have stapled to, seems like a big mistake there.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    yellowdog
  • ecurbjk
    Options
    Thanks very much gentlemen for the feedback. I agree, the pex along the exterior wall should probably go, the suggestion to install the manifold near the first joist entrance makes sense. I’m glad I posted the video for you guys to have a look. I do have a professional hydronics heating company coming next week and I’m sure they will help clean up my mistakes.

Thanks again for the help!
    Bruce