Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slant/Fin VSL-160C boiler - need replacing or not?

So, here’s some info on the boiler I have. I'm a civilian - no HVAC experience, but I've got an inquisitive mind and I'm a software engineer in my day job. A gas company tech who saw my boiler and a service manager who didn't and doesn't know anything about it recommended I replace my boiler soon because I won't be able to get parts for it. I'm trying to figure out if they're being hasty or not. Mechanically, the boiler is working fine - I'll have an inspection and service soon for the first time since I bought this house and inherited the boiler.

My boiler is a Slant Fin VSL-160C: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Slant-Fin-VSL-Modulating-Condensing-Gas-Stainless-Steel-Boiler-with-Domestic-Hot-Water-30-000-to-160-000-BTU-Input-VSL-160C/204856987 Slant Fin points you to these retailers for parts since they went belly up:
https://www.parts4heating.com/ near Boston (I live in VT)
https://neuco.com

I’ve found parts on other sites too, including https://www.suppliesdepot.com/ which is based in NJ, and others just by googling part #s.

This boiler was made by Cosmogas in Italy originally as the CSG 160, and was rebadged by Slant Fin VSL-160, Peerless, Smith, and Embassy Onex OX-160 for sale in the US. But they’re all just CSG-160s with a badge on it, they were never actually made by any of these American companies, as far as I can tell.

I bought and replaced this part to try to stop a whistling sound, which was listed as being an “Onex” part with the same part number Slant Fin lists (61203015): https://www.suppliesdepot.com/product/onex-61203015-120v-3-way-valve-motor It didn’t fix the problem, but it works just fine from what I can tell. 61203015 is the Cosmogas part number which is why Slant Fin and Onex use that part # too. The part arrived all packaged up in a Cosmogas box - because it’s not a Slant Fin part or an Embassy Onex part, it’s a Cosmogas part. What I’m guessing is that all of the parts for these boilers are Cosmogas parts, no matter what they’re listed as, and no matter who badged the boiler. At least for the simplest parts.

What I run into with the gas company and now I’ve run into it with an HVAC outfit up here too is they hear Slant Fin and essentially say: “oh, Slant Fin, they went out of business, we’re having more and more trouble getting their parts. You should replace this thing immediately regardless of its operating condition because we sometimes can’t get Slant Fin parts for months, so you’ll be without heat and water for that long”.

Which I’m sure is true for Slant Fin’s own cast iron boilers, but this boiler doesn’t exclusively take Slant Fin parts because its a stainless steel boiler made by Cosmogas. It takes Cosmogas parts, and those parts could be badged as Slant Fin, Peerless, Smith, or Embassy/Onex. I’ve had luck finding that 1 part above which is an Onex-badged part (but came in a Cosmogas box), but I don’t know if it’d be harder to find something higher-value like a heat exchanger or a control board.

My question is basically: do I need to replace this thing in the near future because it truly will be difficult to get parts for it? I’ll replace it if I have to, but if it doesn't rely on Slant Fin-made cast iron boiler parts, and could take parts with the same part # badged as Slant Fin, Peerless, Smith, Embassy Onex, or Cosmogas which can be shipped here from NJ or MA, then I don’t see as urgent of a need to replace it. Yes, of course, it would be a pain to be without heat or hot water while I wait for parts to arrive from elsewhere in the northeast, but the advice I'm getting seems to be about me not being able to get parts for months because Slant Fin's out of business. But I think what should concern me more is whether Embassy Onex, Smith, and Peerless are ALL out of business too, since as long as they're in business, the Cosmogas parts will keep flowing from Italy here.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    That your gas company can't get parts for it says a good deal more about your gas company than it does about your boiler. Maybe it's the gas company that needs to be replaced?

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I would make a list of the parts that are likely to fail. Control board and blower assembly gas valve iginitor and flame sensor etc.....whatever you think.

You have done some excellent research already. See if the parts you may need are still available and at what cost. Maybe check this every 6 month.

The life of a mod con. The general feeling is that while many can be kept running if parts are available that some mod con mfgs. do not make parts available after 10-15 years
    Mad Dog_2
  • BlairM
    BlairM Member Posts: 1
    I've been finding the same thing. Local company will service it but they have issues finding parts as it isn't a brand carry. No one within 500 km is/was a slant fin service rep. I'm wondering if you have any further luck on finding parts? Currently (knock on wood) the boiler is fine but It is 9 yrs old so trying to be prepared.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Find parts yourself.. Buy extra and store them.  You have to weigh the costs of spare parts versus new boiler .  Mad 🐕 Dog 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Embassy is still stocking parts from Long Island.
    I can pretty much get them in a couple days.
    The parts I find fail are the pressure sensor, the igniter/ flame rod and some of the burner insulation.
    I have about 5-6 of these still running fine.
    I also have had a few HX fail but imo if that fails replace the whole boiler.
  • mda51420
    mda51420 Member Posts: 1
    I’m facing this situation with my VSL-160 right now. It was installed just five years ago and has always performed very well. But now it won’t ramp up to stage two fire for some reason. Stage one functions perfectly but you can’t heat a house with only 130 degree water. My tech immediately told me no parts are available. I just sent him a copy of this article. We’ll see.