Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What a game.......

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
Was rooting for our (Giants) division rival eagles.  One of the best Superbowls since I started  watching,  Jets and Broadway Joe 1969 with my Papa and Older Brother Bart.  Not crazy about Mahome's.'TUDE, but I take my old football helmet off to him tonight. He's one of the best.  Congrats KC..Len Dawson, Willie Lanier, Bobby Bell and Christian Oyoke are doing a dance wherever they are.  Mad Dog
Corktown

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited February 2023
    The Wrong team won!

BTW... who is this?

And was there a penalty flag on that play?

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited February 2023
    I'm glad someone finally asked....That is Mike "Mad Dog" Curtis HS All American fullback and Linebacker at Montgomery HS in Baltimore.   He was already a legend in the State in HS and strangers would come from far and wide to watch him play. He went on to Duke and Was an Academic All American at both positions.  Drafted early by the Baltimore Colts, the coaches soon realized that Mike was a total Mad Dog Fullback...who would purposefully run over a tackler instead of juking him out.  Let's try him at Middle Linebacker!   He immediately made a great impact and unfortunately never played Fullback again. He played in many championship games. He played like 1965-1976 about.  Astonishingly, he was traded to the new Startup expansion team Seattle Seahawks where he played 2 more years before hanging up his high top cleats. Mad Dog 🐕 was a ferocious NOT DIRTY- mauler...an All Pro who destroyed ball carriers and was always Team Captain.  But he was a fan favorite and preferred to drink with the hardened men at rough Old Man's bars in Baltimore where the Longshoreman, plumbers, and wiseguys hung out.  Mad Dog feared no man. The picture I used was famous and I first saw in a Book my father gave me called Great Linebackers of the NFL. That's Mad Dog "horse-collaring" Roman Gabriel Rams QB.. Even when I played Pop Warner Lynvets in Ozone Park Queens in the late 70s, and HS in early 80s, we could still do this, lead with your head, cross body block, chop block, flatten the QB and Punter! et cetera .  It was a much better and exciting game . I also emulated the play and intensity of **** Butkus (Bears) and Ray Nitschke (Packers) and Jack Lambert  (Steelers) and many others. I often tell youngsters and know-it-all sports "experts" to YouTube these great  men...many who played both ways, had no steroids, many were combat vets, made such little $$ they had to join the National Guard and Army Reserve in the Off season.  The great Bear Tight End and Coach Mike Ditka laughed uproariously when a arrogant  Sportscaster asked him if he thought players of the early 6os could play with today's Super athletes?? Ditka replied:  " Ha ha..you got it wrong, Pal, they couldn't play with us!!!" My  father Bart and Brother Bart would show me film 🎥 on these guys and in Football Camp they would show us short films narrated by The Great Ed Sabol..films like "**** BUTKUS..SEARCH & DESTROY' My father and brother   told me to play like these guys and you will be standout, All Conference and go far in football...I did whatever my two idols told me, so off I went...Starting Varsity as a very light but fast and ferocious hitter,  at 145, I excelled at Outside Linebacker, but by Jr year had packed on 40lbs of muscle (ask me how! - NO ROIDS!).  I won the starting Middle Linebacker job from a Sr.  Kids who played in my generation knew who Mike Curtis was and I got the Nickname by a very tough opponent at a rival HS who I battled with ALL DAY LONG on every play. He was assigned to stop me...shadow me. . Special teams, Offense & Defense.  He approached me when it was over and put out his hand. He said..."Damn!  You came at me all day like a Mad Dog!"   My teammates heard it and thus it followed me in to 🏉 Post HS rugby, and then here.  Mad Dog looked similar to me in face and body type; and many people told me looked like him with  the helmet on.  Thats why I love that picture 📷.  No flag on that...that's the way we played the game up until I'd say the 80s when the ruining of the game started..  Hot-dogging it in the end-zone after a TD started in the Early 70s with Oiler's Billy White Shoes Johnson  foolishly 😠 clowning around.  My father would throw pillows at the TV  ha ha.    Mad 🐕 Dog
    CorktownSTEVEusaPAEdTheHeaterManSuperTech
  • Mad Dog_2
    You asked Ed....ha ha..I also wore #32 in Pop Warner Lynvets (Ozone Park). But  Seniors  had it in HS along with 51 (Butkus) 58 (Lambert) and 66 (Nitschke) . 39 (Larry Czonka 🐬 Dolphins and best Fullback ever) was not a Middle Linebacker or Right Guard number...sooo I settled for # 52 and gave it a good name!   Mad Dog
  • Corktown
    Corktown Member Posts: 34
    I thought the penalty was “weak sauce”, but apparently the defender thought that it was a legit call, from one story I read.

Mad props to him for fessing up to doing something he apparently felt cost his team the game. I think he’s being too hard on himself, but what do I know…
    Mad Dog_2
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited February 2023
    I picked the Chiefs last two games as 3 point wins. I was rooting for the Chiefs and at several points worried that they wouldn't take the trophy. The teams were so evenly matched. Some of those long passes were a sight to behold, unbelievable.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Yes..it was one of the best Superbowls ever.  That Kelce is awesome.  Great coaching.  Its very hard, in the heat of combat to, NOT do certain things...its most a Pavlov's kinda physical impulse.  Your hand automatically grabs his face mask
    Because its RIGHT THERE and you want to stop him!  A nano second later your mind is like. 'What the H--- are u doing?" Mad Dog
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    ron said:

Yeah! We watch for the fights!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    GGrossMad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    The best part of hockey...Mad Dog
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited February 2023
    I stopped reading at about here "He was already a legend in the State in HS and strangers would come from far and wide to watch him play."
    That is when I knew who you were talking about. I also have a "Bio" that I won't bore you with. But It is as colorful as your story, and has nothing to do with sports.

That guy was a great footballer. Just ask him, He'll tell you!

That's what I get for askin'. Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Mad Dog_2
    Your turn, Ed. Now I'm asking you. I'm very interested. Mad Dog
  • lager
    lager Member Posts: 56
    Ed that is Mike Curtis tackling Roman Gabriel
  • lager
    Mad Dog I should have a read your text before responding to Ed,,,,,,,,,,,I have both players football cards from the early 70's
  • lager
    Mad Dog & Ed
    I remember Mike Curtis taken out a fan that was foolish enough to run on the field and scoop up the ball

OUCH
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    That was hilarious. Youtube it! Big Bubba Smith and Dan Reeves (I believe) his All Pro teammates came up to Curtis' Locker after the game to express fears of a public relations snafu in Mad Dog's Leveling of the goofy, Drunken fan. Unapologetic, Mike regretted that he hadn't knocked him out cold! End of discussion! He became a highly successful Baltimore Business Exec. after his great career. I used to write to him. Mad Dog