Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Join pvc to cast

Options
hankwylerjr
hankwylerjr Member Posts: 124
I’m trying to run a 2 inch pvc to my main sewer cast iron 4 inch pipe. Problem is that the elbow portion of the pipe I believe is the only viable option to join them. I rather not cut the elbow out because this cast is like new since the apartment sat vacant for many years is there any way to perhaps use a fernco or maybe a saddle on an elbow? Or epoxy ? Thanks in advance 

Comments

• hankwylerjr
    Options

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    There is an amazing array of odd couplings which can accomplish that. Most of them made by Fernco, or in imitation of Ferncos, but there are other manufacturers as well. Even your local big box might have something useful.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    hankwylerjr
  • hankwylerjr
    Options
    you have thx do you have an example a picture of what’s best? 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    I don't know of any fitting that will join to a CI elbow. If you cut the CI pipe you can join the PVC to the CI with a Fernco coupling as Jamie said
    hankwylerjr
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    You can also caulk PVC in to the ci hub with lead and okum. You just have to wait for it to cool before you pack the lead.
    hankwylerjr
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Fernco has ells and tees. I’d use the correct fitting. Not an epoxy homebuild🤓
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    hankwylerjr
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    You should have a good 1-½" of straight pipe there after the lead joint to which you can connect a standard 4" no-hub coupling or a CP44 to 4" PVC if that fits better. Cut the sweep/90 carefully to preserve the straight portion and you should be good to go.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    hankwylerjrMad Dog_2
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    I have added a pvc coupling to a pipe where it connect into a lateral to increase the dia of the pvc pipe where the pipe is a little too small a dia for the connection.