Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat w dedicated remote

Options
Can anyone recommend a thermostat with a dedicated remote and not just an app for control through the smartphone? Wifi being the connection medium is ok but I want the control to be in a fixed place.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Remote, like all the buttons? Honeywell has an EIM (equipment interface module) that will connect wirelessly to one of their RedLINK stats. It'll need to be powered via 24 vac, but that can be supplied by a wall wart transformer. The EIM goes down by the furnace, it has no operating controls on it.
  • trivetman
    trivetman Member Posts: 178
    Options
    I think we’re speaking a different language!  Ive got a central A/C unit for the 2nd and 3rd floors of the house.  A standard thermostat installed on the third floor operates it.  I’m looking to replace the thermostat with one I can operate remotely from downstairs.

most of the wifi thermostats I see seem to use a smartphone app to operate remotely.  Im wondering if any actually have a physical remote and don’t require a smartphone or ipad to utilize the app.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    It's not portable, but you could install a thermostat downstairs and use wireless sensors on the 2nd and 3rd floors. It can be programmed to measure temperature from the sensors only and not the thermostat. 
    STEVEusaPA
  • ratio
    Options
    The Honeywell I mentioned will do that with the addition of a remote sensor, exactly like @HVACNUT describes but without running any more thermostat wires. Mount a module on the central air unit, mount a wireless sensor where the old stat was, mount the thermostat on the first floor, & done. There is some configuration that will be necessary, in particular to tell the stat to use the remote & not average that with it's on-board sensor.

I'm unaware of a thermostat that has a remote like what you're describing. There are some WiFi thermostats that are self-hosting (i.e. don't require an account at some service provider) for operation, but I don't have any experience with them.

• trivetman
    trivetman Member Posts: 178
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    The problem you are trying to solve is the actual control you want to adjust is all the way up on the third floor. Right? If you place a sensor on the second floor or the third floor using an Ecobee or Nest thermostat thru WiFi, you can place the Ecobee or Nest in the heater room, or any other room in the home, and control the temperature from that location only. But you must set it up thru the WiFi in your home. If you don't have access to WiFi then you will need to use the local wireless network like RedLink from Honeywell

Now think of the person on the third floor who wants to adjust the temperature. They need to go all the way to the heater room (or whatever room the thermostat is in) to adjust the temperature. That is an inconvenience in the other direction. If that inconvenience is not yours then ... "Not My Problem" ...sounds like the answer is RedLink.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ratio
    Options
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Home-REM5000R1001-RedLINK-Portable-Comfort-Control

As it turns out, I came across this while working on something else. It apparently does exactly what you are looking for. I still think that a stat with a remote sensor will be a better solution.

GGross
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    Options
    Another option would be to use an internet-enabled thermostat that can be accessed through an Amazon Echo or Google Home device. You could then use that device as your remote control for the thermostat.
  • exqheat
    exqheat Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Honeywell 8000 series at Supply House. They take returns if it does not work for you.
    I use them all the time. read the literature. You can also wire a sensor to the old thermostat wires and avoid changing sensor batteries very year. Very versatile, easy to use, and can be programed.
    John Cockerill Exquisite Heat www.exqheat.com Precisions boiler control from indoor reset.
    digitalman218