Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing original trap caps

Options
My convector rads are pretty but the traps are tucked way down narrow tunnels and need new internals... Which I've received with new lids.

Can i use my heavy duty impact with 6 point sockets on extensions to loosen them up?

Any other tips before I make an attempt?

Thanks

Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    You have to love it. Yes, you can. Make sure the socket really fits.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    guzzinerd
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 233
    Options
    I don't.  I will.

Thanks 
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    Please let us know how this works out.
    guzzinerd
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2023
    Options
    And get the hog ring versions of the impact wrench which allow for easy one hand pop off / on socket changes.  

The detention pin version shown in your post are designed for heavy iron assembly work and require a two hand operation to remove the socket. Nice when you want to avoid having a 4 ounce socket come off when working 20 (or 200) foot up but are a pain when doing routine work. 
    guzzinerd
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have the pin type and they are somewhat a pain to remove the socket.

However I have mostly Craftsman sockets that have the indent hole that allows a small screwdriver to release the socket.

Don't the fronts come off of those convectors? They must of had, in order to do the piping.
    Long Beach Ed
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    JUGHNE said:
    I have the pin type and they are somewhat a pain to remove the socket. However I have mostly Craftsman sockets that have the indent hole that allows a small screwdriver to release the socket. Don't the fronts come off of those convectors? They must of had, in order to do the piping.
    Not sure, haven't tried yet as my sockets haven't arrived yet (couldn't find any 6 pointers in town).

I'll need the impact wrench anyways and will use it just for cap removal and will replace with new ones manually.  I usually need to pop off sockets with a small screw driver on my pneumatic impact, pretty used to it.

PC7060 said:
    And get the hog ring versions of the impact wrench which allow for easy one hand pop off / on socket changes.  

The detention pin version shown in your post are designed for heavy iron assembly work and require a two hand operation to remove the socket. Nice when you want to avoid having a 4 ounce socket come off when working 20 (or 200) foot up but are a pain when doing routine work. 
    I bought this wrench specifically for getting all the trap caps off, they're all the same size.  It'll probably go to my garage next where i need to do some work under my f100 so will appreciate sockets not popping off.
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    Please let us know how this works out.
    I will next week, just waiting on the correct sockets to arrive.
  • guzzinerd
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @Long Beach Ed Welp,  I managed to get 2 caps off today.  Replaced them with new taller caps and rebuild kit.  No way i could have done it without the impact gun, took a few worrisome tries each before they loosened up.

Will see tonight how they affect things.  

More caps and kits on way for the rest of the apts.

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    I'm proud of you! Lesser men would have given up.
    guzzinerdbburd
  • guzzinerd
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I'm proud of you! Lesser men would have given up.
    Thank you.  Lesser men threw out 4 original radiators before i bought this place ,,,🤬
    Long Beach Ed
  • guzzinerd
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I finally received the first batch of the rebuild kits for the Dunhams along with the missing traps.  

The covers come off pretty easily to access the traps as well.

Does anyone want the old Dunham caps?  I'll have around 20 when I'm done.