Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can cast iron and aluminum baseboard be used on the same zone?

Options
I have a new replacement gas furnace with 3 zones. 2 zones have strictly cast iron recessed radiators. The 3rd zone for an additional room currently has aluminum baseboard. Can I add to the present aluminum baseboard some cast iron baseboard to get more heating into this room?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Do you mean fin/tube  baseboard?

Yes, under certain circumstances it can be done, but it usually requires higher water temps and responds differently than cast iron BBs.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    This would get along with aluminum radiant baseboard. A room load calc could indicate how much you are short on the emitter size.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited February 2023
    Options

YES.

Unless you want it to work. Then

NO

But you may get away with it in some cases. Most people that try this are not happy with the results. Are you going to go with a series loop? If the alum fin tube is first on the run (hottest water) then you may be OK

If you are going with separate home runs to the boiler room you will have a difficult time balancing them.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    I guess we need to clear up if it is fin tube, or aluminum radiators, Runtal, etc
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Grallert