Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Have never done Annual Service one pipe steam

Options
Athana
Athana Member Posts: 104
edited February 2023 in Strictly Steam
Hi..we have two 185btu Carlin Gas Fired Smith Series 8 Boilers One Pipe Steam which were installed new in 2010 or 2011 by JStar who came from this site. Have not been serviced since he closed his company about a year after that.
What will be needing done at this service at this point ?
We skim the water at the top and some at the bottom vents as water gets muddy in sight glass.
We have that annual PSEG Contract on the boilers but they seem to not know much concerning these boilers as for the last few years
when the boiler sits not running for maybe half an hour or hour and then starts, there is a plume of gas we smell.But not when it's regularly going on off on off.But they haven't the slightest idea.
Lately I've noticed that the temperature of house not holding..when I go down to basement to look, one boiler has red light and  water in that boiler lower than the other so I add a little water and restart. Last night we had it at top of water line, this morning house temp at 61 dispute thermostat at 64 and water 2/3 down the tube.I've noticed it this year not keeping up to thermostat temperature quite a few times.
What needs to be done imperative at this service at this point ?
Some of my radiator vents upstairs get overly hot then clog with water so I have to empty them.
Thank you.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    Oh dear. Well, you need to get a good steam man out there to service those. Since you were in Jstar's area, perhaps you are also in @EzzyT 's or @clammy 's area.

This won't be just an annual service. Those have been neglected long enough that there may be a good many things which need work. All the safeties need to be checked, tested, and cleaned. Pigtails cleaned or replaced. Combustion tested and adjusted, of course. And... they will know when they get there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2